A Day In The Office

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Yes I did, I think the pin holes were brazed to close them off from water, I would think those studs were screwed in afterwards. Don't the stud hole in the boss's go into water?

Yes the rocker stud holes go to water. They leaked on the 583s I have on the 460, I sealed a set screw in the ones that had room for them under the stud thread. Next time I deal with these I will epoxy the holes shut after they have been machined and cleaned.

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
James hope you don’t mind me stealing a spot on your day at the office thread. A lot of people ask me what I do for a living and here’s a video. So I guess what I’m saying is this is the Day in my office! I’ve touched every piece of equipment in this video, through installation and service. 23 years I have worked for Hobart and sometimes I send you pictures of the messes I get into. Here is a brief history of Hobart and everything we work on and build all here in the United States and most of it in Ohio north of Dayton in a town called Troy. World headquarters just north of Dayton. And I’ll give a shout out to Cecil about the Wright Patterson Air Force Base Museum. Which is the most spectacular collections of planes, Military history around. It’s all free and takes days to go through. Been there at least four dozen times on weekends when I was training during the week. Hope you enjoy the video and it’s better than a ride along, wouldn’t want you to get dirty. :brow

55Brodie

Well Known Member
Cool video, Tooth.
Back in the 70's my brother in-law and I moonlighted for my uncle's restaurant supply company in Virginia. At that time my uncle had a hot streak of supplying a bunch of new pizza restaurants. We got real familiar horsing Blodgett ovens and Hobart dough mixers onto and off trucks and into the restaurant kitchens. I swear those things outweighed VW's.

NCPOP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
James hope you don’t mind me stealing a spot on your day at the office thread. A lot of people ask me what I do for a living and here’s a video. So I guess what I’m saying is this is the Day in my office! I’ve touched every piece of equipment in this video, through installation and service. 23 years I have worked for Hobart and sometimes I send you pictures of the messes I get into. Here is a brief history of Hobart and everything we work on and build all here in the United States and most of it in Ohio north of Dayton in a town called Troy. World headquarters just north of Dayton. And I’ll give a shout out to Cecil about the Wright Patterson Air Force Base Museum. Which is the most spectacular collections of planes, Military history around. It’s all free and takes days to go through. Been there at least four dozen times on weekends when I was training during the week. Hope you enjoy the video and it’s better than a ride along, wouldn’t want you to get dirty. :brow
Nice video Hobart has some good stuff. Tooth I wondered if you were a technician when I saw the True? Undercounter unit you had for a bench or something. I used to have a pizza make up for a storage/ bench. I have a 60 quart Hobart that I am going to be selling ( 900 lbs.) almost. I am still working on mostly refrigeration now. Just like it’s been said some of the places that I would eat at before seeing the kitchen I wouldn’t eat at after working on something in the back!
Probably just high jacked this thread for sure:dunno2

NCPOP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes Dave very true, I was at a small local car show a few years back. An older guy and his son were there with a 62 Vette, they had restored it together and it was a good job looked real good. Also there were 5 or 6 guys with new store bought Vettes and they were getting most of the attention. I went over to the 62 and looked at their album of start to finish details. I wanted them to know how much I appreciated their hard work and commitment. I told them if I could have my pick it would be theirs.

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Nice video Hobart has some good stuff. Tooth I wondered if you were a technician when I saw the True? Undercounter unit you had for a bench or something. I used to have a pizza make up for a storage/ bench. I have a 60 quart Hobart that I am going to be selling ( 900 lbs.) almost. I am still working on mostly refrigeration now. Just like it’s been said some of the places that I would eat at before seeing the kitchen I wouldn’t eat at after working on something in the back!
Probably just high jacked this thread for sure:dunno2
My family spends a lot of time eating at home now, my kids have grown up but they always call me and ask me before they go out to eat. I was looking for that heads up. A good rule of thumb is if the owner will let you walk through the kitchen to sit down it’s probably a good place to eat!:good James always likes to hear the horror stories too, But I think sometimes he gets a little disappointed because there might be a restaurant he likes to eat at that now he’s not so sure of.:dunno
But hey, it’s still just another day at the office!

Last edited:

Junky

Well Known Member
My rule of thumb for dining out is have the strippers wash their hands before making my sandwich.

When I was a kid, I went to the bagel factory, and asked my father if I could go it with him to see how they were made. Out front was where the bagels were in large bins, and through a double swinging door to the back was where they were cooked in large vats of boiling water, and then place into ovens. The bakers were all in their boxer shorts and undershirts, wearing socks and high top sneakers. I can remember it like it was yesterday. Today all bagels are made in factories by machines, and processed flour with preservatives. Back then and up until the mid 1990's, I would go to that very bagel factory, even though they had moved location, and buy bagels. When they got stale, about 30 hours after they were baked, they were hard as rocks. My dog loved them, and it would take her quite a while to chew one up. Damn, I sure do miss that dog, and those bagels.