A/FX

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Wasn’t Seaton’s Shaker 66 Chevelle a F/X, before it was wrecked ?
Then they went altered wheelbase with the next car.
Dave

Dave I don't remember the exact year it must have been the early 70's but the Seaton's Shaker corvair sat at a gas station in downtown Warren ,Ohio for at least 2 yrs. I don't know if it was the same car that's in this article though but that was the name on the side of the car. I know they repainted the car and reletterd the car and the new name was Bartlett's Shaker but I don't remember seeing the car run around the local drag strips after the paint job.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/sup...B0FDC1D1A7262E686F14114D3FDD8B3F9C23D15DF963E

Mark

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I was lucky in 1965 for two reasons. One I was able to attend the 1965 York S/S Nationals, Two my momma made me take a camera! Of all of the photos I took that day these are the A/FX cars. Thanks to the post creator Dick MacKenzie for the watermarks.
Robert
Dick Brennen.jpgPoffenberger1.jpgBud Faubel.jpgPhil Bonner.jpgAl Joniec.jpgBill Lawton.jpgPoffenberger2.jpg

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
The photos got posted a bit out of order. Yes the engine photo is from the Chevelle! I guess the two coils are in parallel for redundancy or they are wired to be S/N 0001 of the MSD 6A.:dunno
Robert

wristpin

Well Known Member
Saw dual dist setup on a street hemi (not counting T/F hemis) and one on a BBC. Ran across one for sale in San Diego at a swap meet. Gear drive spun two gears that spun drive to each distributor. Been a long time so maybe 50% of recall is kicking in. As i recall each rotor turned opposite directions. Thus firing order 18436572 on one cap and the other was firing order 27563481for that cap. On the hemi it was a simple plug arrangement....dual plug the heads. One rotor was set to fire a few degrees before the opposite rotor.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
We have a member who raced in NASCAR back in the day who knew an engine builder that was building dual distributor 348 engines I believe
Robert
Well, this is totally off subject but since Robert brought it up.....he only built one, it was in a 58 Chevrolet round track car. This car started life as a drag race car but the owner lost interest in drag racing and decided to go roundy round racing. The guys name was Jimmy Scott, he was one of my best friends and he was a mechanical genus. Robert is referring to the first motor that Jimmy built for the circle track car. ( I attached a photo of the car) Not sure what the cubic inch was but it was a W engine. Had 16 spark plugs, 2 dist., 180 degree headers and a dry sump. Motor was hand built, it had 1147 heads that were totally reworked with the intake ports moved to match a Rambler aluminum intake. The car also had a Z-11 cowl induction air breather. Jimmy had a pair of Z-11 heads that he intended to use on the motor but he never got around to using them. Phil may not remember this but he bought the heads from another guy who had purchased them from Jimmy's estate. Jimmy died about 10 years ago from cancer but he was a living legend around our part of the country. Look closely at the car, this photo was taken around 1972 or 73. That's about as slick a 58 Chevrolet as you will ever see. Check the spoiler under the front bumper, look at how the front bumper is moved back to better align with the fenders, check the filler in the rear quarter window. This was originally a Bel Air 2 door sedan. The top was chopped, notice the short windshield, also notice the front fenders are drupped down in the front . That's just a few of the modifications. The car originally had a wing on the rear but the NASCAR officals made him remove that Jimmy Scott.jpg

George Klass

Well Known Member
Yes, those are great photos. And most of the cars in the photos look like they would be legal for A/FX. But we need to remember that the York S/S Nationals in '65 was not a NHRA National Event. York had their own rules, it was their event. The cars I would question as being NHRA LEGAL FX cars start with Faubel's Dodge. The Hilborn injectors would NOT have made it through tech inspection at a NHRA National Event in A/FX. The hood scoop on Poffenberger's Chevelle would also not made the cut by NHRA in the FX class. And finally, the under hood photo of the red Chevelle shows me that it would have also been illegal for FX at a NHRA National Event. The engine set-back would be illegal, as well as the elimination of the inner fender panels. In the world of match racing, none of these modifications are a problem. At an NHRA National Event, like the Winternationals or the Nationals over Labor Day weekend, an A/FX car would have had to meet the NHRA rules in effect for the class. Visually, the Mustangs look like they would be legal cars; whether they left the engines in "legal trim" might be another matter...

George Klass

Well Known Member
I think that we all need to remember that the "Factory Experimental Class" was just that, an NHRA Class with class rules plainly printed in the NHRA Rulebook. These rules were only in effect at NHRA National Events or Division Events. Other sanctioning groups (like York or Lions for instance) could make up their own rules as they saw fit for their own events. They could still call it Factory Experimental if they wanted to. But when we on this thread talk about the FX class, we are not talking about local or regional events, we are talking about NHRA National Events.

I spend a lot of time looking at photos of 1960's drag cars, photos taken in the 1960's. I also see new photos, of 1960 period cars cloned to look like the real thing, but many are fake cars or whatever. I see plenty with A/FX painted on the cars but just a quick look tells me that they are fake.

George Klass

Well Known Member

I love that photo.

The class designation "A/FX" has always had a degree of magic associated with it, especially when it's painted on a clone build. And many folks that were not born when the Factory Experimental classes were going strong seem to make the mistake of thinking that any (or all) match racers of that era were A/FX cars. 98% of the match race cars were not FX cars at all, they were modified well beyond what would have been permitted in the NHRA FX classes. Many of the factory backed racers had a match race car and also a FX car for NHRA National Events. This was especially true with the Mopar guys who raced an Altered Wheelbase Dodge or Plymouth on the match race circuit, and an ex-S/S car with a 2% wheelbase modification in the FX class. Most of the independent guys could not afford two cars, and so they chose to go match racing (follow the $$) instead, and since Chevy racers were all "independents", that's the direction they took.

n 1963 and 1964, I knew several local (SoCal) racers that built match race cars, usually out of Chevelle's. It was actually easy to do and it did not take a big bankroll to do it. The engine of choice at the time was a 409 (punched out to over 420+ cubic inches). As far as the car itself, it was just gutted. To make them light, all you needed to do was to remove every single thing inside and outside the car that you did not absolutely need. Do you know how much the OEM dashboard weighs? Who needs a dash board? The cheapest way to lighten the OEM windows was to remove them completely. Gut everything inside the doors. Just cut everything out or off. Do you really need headlights and tail lights, and all the wiring? The stock body panels were actually pretty light. I helped a guy cut out 90% of the framing on the underside of the hood (no hinges, just a few hood pins), and the result was it was as light as a lift-off fiberglass hood. Light weight inner fender panels? Heck no, just throw the stock ones away. Cheap. Most of the effort in "building" a match race car was removing almost everything inside the car. I helped a friend "build" a match race Chevelle. We started working on the car itself on Friday afternoon, we worked on it all night (we were mostly drunk) and worked on it more on Saturday and Sunday. By dinner time on Sunday, we were pretty much done with the car. We had a shell and suspension, and a modified 409 engine (from another car) under the hood. All the stuff we removed from the car we stored in large trash cans. When we were done we weighed the cans and found out that we had removed almost 700 lbs. from the car, and it still looked like a Chevelle. From the grand stands at a drag strip, you could not tell the difference, it looked pretty stock. Cost to do this over a long weekend, zero, other than several cases of beer and some bandages where we cut ourselves on the sheet metal.

Most of the early match race cars (pre 1965, and especially the Chevys) did not have an altered wheelbase. Most even used OEM front suspension. The suspension on some of the straight axle and leaf spring conversions I saw weighed more that the stock independent front ends. The majority of the independent match race cars were pretty crude, and unless you planned on touring the nation, a tow bar and a pick-up truck or a station wagon was as good as a ramp truck. Gasoline was cheap and there were LOTS of drag strips just in California alone, and most of the drag strip operators would pay a couple of hundred to book the car in to match race some other guy. It's like any business, keep the expenses down and you have more money in your pocket.

It was the best of times and it ain't coming back...

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
That 64 Chevelle A/FX car I almost bought down in Alabama was pretty crude it looked like they used an air chisel to cut the metal body panels but I still wished I would have brought it home now.

Mark

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
View attachment 65545

It's Chevy vs. Ford, a few dents really don't matter. A good track announcer can get the fans all pumped up and yelling for their favorites.

This 64 Chevelle That I speak of down in Alabama had a straight axle full tube frame & the driver sat in the middle and had the rear axle set forward, the roof & the quarter panels were the only metal panels left on it the rest was glass. The guy that was selling it said the car came down from Detroit and after I came back to Ohio I then decided I wanted to buy it so I called the guy and he told me he sold it and the Chevelle went back to Detroit.

Mark

George Klass

Well Known Member
43445401_474216736417693_116765429040414720_n.jpg
In my opinion, this Falcon was always one of my favorite match racers (other than the Chevy's of course). But I do feel that cars like this, with the designation "A/FX" on it is one of the reasons that many younger enthusiasts (who were not around at the time) were led astray. I'm a fan of the A/FX cars and I'm a fan of the Match Race cars. Like most of you who know the difference, I feel that it's our duty to continue to educated the kids as to what this period in drag racing history was all about...