A huge thank you to Texas & the west coast

Agent Blue

Well Known Member
IMG_2559.jpg IMG_4539.jpg For providing the climate conditions to preserve classic transportation. If your from the midwest and have participated in rusty floors, door, quarters, fenders, and anything sheet metal I am sure you agree. Not being multi skilled to replace the above pieces with the required talent it litterly makes it possible for many of us to rebuild a classic . When I look at frames without rust pits and under bodies with a red oxide type primer still showing I am truly impressed. With a wire brush and solvent cleaning process the white dust / caked dirt is removed acting like a super preservative exposing clean metal. Its a shame many of these examples are being exported. Its like losing our dna from the past.

Agent Blue

Well Known Member
Its a 63 post Belair from Texas. The interior floor was scuffed and painted. The underbody was scuffed with a wire brush and pad. The frame was coated with semi gloss black. Couldn't find any metal pits in the frame. Everything was coated with white mud like substance . The door interior bottoms still need vacuuming as there is a half inch build up. Door bottoms are still factory paint, no rust. Typically older Impalas from this area are rusty and in the three, thirty five hundred range. This is a two door sedan which I preferred and didn't cost much above average. The lower trunk area where the spare tire is located was rusted through due to a leaky weatherstrip. A tub liner was installed with the remainder showing the spatter paint. Not bad for a 53 year old car.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I bought my '62 and '64 Impala's from Alabama and Louisiana, respectively. Both had lived their lives in those states and had been undercoated. I didn't see any red oxide paint, but the floor/trunk pans and frame, were original and in remarkably good shape, as were all the panels on the car. Something to be said about a Southern car that has been undercoated. Here in the northeast, they would have never made it. We've had a few light snows and it's unbelievable the amount of salt they put down. The black top turns to white top. You can see bunches of it still not dissolved laying on the road. It makes it's way into our drinking water and then into our body. No wonder why we have high blood pressure, Carmine.

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
My '65 Dodge was an original Louisiana car from what I can tell from some paper work that came with it. It has one small patch in the passenger floor, and one small patch in front of the left rear spring. The rest of the floors are solid. Before my boys surprised me with it for my 50th birthday I had been to the car lot it was on on days they were closed and ran my trusty magnet all over the wheel lips, rockers , etc. It stuck every where. Southern cars evidently do fare better.

Lonnie

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I must have lucked out. My car was sold an hour and a half NE of where it lives today. I have not replaced any of that stuff. I did crack my windshield at the track a couple of years ago, must have been the heat......:winner:winner

Agent Blue

Well Known Member
I bought my '62 and '64 Impala's from Alabama and Louisiana, respectively. Both had lived their lives in those states and had been undercoated. I didn't see any red oxide paint, but the floor/trunk pans and frame, were original and in remarkably good shape, as were all the panels on the car. Something to be said about a Southern car that has been undercoated. Here in the northeast, they would have never made it. We've had a few light snows and it's unbelievable the amount of salt they put down. The black top turns to white top. You can see bunches of it still not dissolved laying on the road. It makes it's way into our drinking water and then into our body. No wonder why we have high blood pressure, Carmine.

I don't believe someone anyone tried to restore this vehicle in the past. It was originally owned by a telephoner company and purchased by the second owner. I have included a picture of the floor pan as I was getting ready to paint it for additional protection. As you will note there is no under coat and the white mud like substance is partially removed in areas. The red oxide painted surface is displayed in areas that are partially cleaned. There is a chance it was sprayed with the primer ( or paint ) after it reached the dealer, .... but no traces on the underbody metal frame surfaces. The picture explains it better than I do. I may be mistaken but not telling an outright misrepresentation .thumb_IMG_2006_1024.jpg

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
You're extremely fortunate that the car is in that kind of shape without undercoating. You just don't see that anymore. Best wishes with it, Carmine.

Agent Blue

Well Known Member
While driving home shortly after purchase we stopped at a restaurant for lunch. I noticed we were followed by a 90s Chevrolet truck with two early 20s males to a large parking area. They drove slowly around the car and trailer approaching to ask, .............. " What is that ???? ". I am sure they are gear heads from another generation where everything looks the same.

Agent Blue

Well Known Member
They should be using that "white mud like stuff" for undercoating.

Not the worlds worst thought. My shop floor was covered with white dust as well as the face mask. My interior door frames have 1/2" plus in them. It must have filtered in from everywhere. It plugged the drain holes so I am surprised the metal isn't riddled with rust .
I have a GTO body / frame from New Mexico that is excellent also.