A little aluminum tig welding

bobs409

Administrator
Just messing around a bit with welding aluminum. I need some improvement but happy with my progress considering I haven't done much in aluminum yet. This is 2 inch, 1/8 inch thick square tube that I welded a plate on the bottom. I then gave it a few "licks" on the belt sander. :D Maybe I can keep all my money in it or something... :p

DSCN3347.jpgDSCN3348.jpgDSCN3349.jpgDSCN3356.jpgDSCN3357.jpgDSCN3358.jpg

chuckl

Well Known Member
Just messing around a bit with welding aluminum. I need some improvement but happy with my progress considering I haven't done much in aluminum yet. This is 2 inch, 1/8 inch thick square tube that I welded a plate on the bottom. I then gave it a few "licks" on the belt sander. :D Maybe I can keep all my money in it or something... :p

View attachment 76886View attachment 76887View attachment 76888View attachment 76889View attachment 76890View attachment 76891
Nice work!

bobs409

Administrator
They make visor inserts for near sighted correction....or so ive heard :wacko. Check out a welding supply store.

Also known as a cheater lens. I got one off ebay. Even though I have corrective lenses, this acts to magnify the puddle even better which is really useful for Tig welding. (or any type welding I suppose) Most but NOT all helmets have a bracket for this lens to slip in. If not, duct tape? :D

The only trick is deciding which one to get! They are sold in different "diopters" which is the strength. Some say to go to a store and try on reading glasses until you find one that works for you and see what diopter they are. I just chose something mid range like a 2.0 or something and really improved things.

Here's what they look like:

Diopter-Welding-Magnifier-Lens-Cheater-Lens-Welder-Screen-_1.jpg