A little help from my friends

RussC

Well Known Member
It is generally accepted that the Nicholson and Jackshaw cars were closely affiliated. Not team cars...but Don was heavily involved with the fellows from Jackshaw Chevrolet...the latter having been built with all the Nicholson modifications. They shared information and probably even parts

Recently a bunch of Don's stuff has surfaced...from an early crew member
I've recently received two special packages...a pair of rather special carburetors and a pair of velocity stacks from the Nicholson carIMG_0635.JPGIMG_1282.JPGIMG_1283.JPGIMG_1284.JPGIMG_1285.JPGIMG_1286.JPG

Thank you Dennis and Pat

RussC

Well Known Member
I said these were SPECIAL carburetors. This set got Nicholson disqualified. While they carry the proper numbers the base has been changed and restamped...3361 and 3362. The bases are cleverly disguised 700 cfm. Wonder how many others did the same? I'm betting a similar set was on Jackshaw...maybe even this very set

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So Russ, are those going to be rebuilt and possibly remarried to the Jackshaw car? Nice find Russ....:rub
I think it’s pretty cool the way the velocity stacks sealed up against those gaskets on the hood. Makes the air scoop totally functional, cool air intake! Just curious to know if anybody had details on the difference between those Z- 11 induction and the velocity stacks in comparison to performance? Pat? Russ?

Last edited:

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Very interesting but curious is there an easy way to detail photograph the difference?
The reason I asked is I believe was Junior Johnson in NASCAR figured a way to create a vacuum leak in a carb or manifold to “bypass” cfm restrictions thus a few extra horsepower! I’ve never fully understood that system.
But wasn’t it one of his cars legend has it at Daytona that he got mad at the inspectors and drove the car to his assigned garage area while leaving the fuel tank on the inspection area floor. Supposedly the cage held a few gallons.
Robert

Last edited:

RussC

Well Known Member
Robert...The only apparent difference is that the butterflies (Venturi) are slightly larger with a different part number

The vacuum leak trick you reference is still in use in NHRA stock classes. The process is a varied as a racer's mind. The simplest way is a leak in the base gasket...jetting the carb richer

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Very interesting but curious is there an easy way to detail photograph the difference?
The reason I asked is I believe was Junior Johnson in NASCAR figured a way to create a vacuum leak in a carb or manifold to “bypass” cfm restrictions thus a few extra horsepower! I’ve never fully understood that system.
But wasn’t it one of his cars legend has it at Daytona that he got mad at the inspectors and drove the car to his assigned garage area while leaving the fuel tank on the inspection area floor. Supposedly the cage held a few gallons.
Robert
It was Smokey that did that, Robert

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I had heard those motors with vacuum leaks were referred to as “sucker motors”. Sucking cfm from under the butterflies introduces more cfm. The motor would only run properly in a small rpm window, but more is more!

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
This is interesting, Val Hedworth told me that on his 68 nova with the superstock class they used to put longer bolts and springs on top of the carburetor to keep down pressure so that when the throttle was wide open it would actually lift the carburetor up off the intake and allow more air to enter the intake under the carburetor for more performance. He is a well-known Quadra jet carburetor guru who has built many quadra jets for high-performance applications in the day! He lives in Macon Missouri now. And is in his 70s.