A moment in NASCAR history

NASCAR FAN

Well Known Member
There were 5 races in the 1964 NASCAR season preceding the '64 Daytona 500. The 3rd of the 5 races was on December 1, 1963 at Jacksonville Speedway Park (Florida) which was a half-mile dirt track. The winner was a black man named Wendell Scott who was driving a 1962 Chevrolet Belair sport coupe with a 409 engine. Buck Baker, driving a 1963 Pontiac, was originally declaired the winner due to scoring errors. Protests and counter protests were filed as NASCAR officials deliberated for 4 hours. After all the race fans had left the track it was determined Scott was actually the winner.

Rick

This delay in awarding 1st place to Wendell Scott is shown in a movie about his racing career starring Richard Prior called "Greased Lightning". In the movie, he was not awarded the trophy until all had left the track. It's both an interesting and fun movie to watch.

Jim

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
A moment in my history

I'm not sure of the exact year but certainly in the early 70's I was asked to crew for Wendell's car at the Dover races and somewhere else in the area. They didn't have any payment money but just used word of mouth to get people who were knowledgeable about the Ford FE motors. Unfortunately I didn't do it but later wished I did. Maybe I could have been a Robert Yates:roll :roll :roll :roll
Robert

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Rick,
I knew Wendell very well, his sons Frankie and Wendell Jr. helped me several times when I didn't have any crew. It's embarrising to me when I think back to some of the things that I saw Wendell and his family have to go through.
A few weeks ago when we went to the reunion at the old track in Hillsborough, some of Wendell's family were there but I didn't see either of his sons.
I wasn't at Jacksonville that night but I can tell you that there was no scoring mix up......it was 1963, the deep south and there was no way they were going to let a black man accept a trophy from a white girl. Knowing Wendell, I don't think he would have wanted too, he understood what was happening.
As you reported, they told everyone that Buck Baker won the race, Buck knew he didn't win the race and he knew what was happening also. I heard it said that Wendell told Buck Baker; "Mister Buck. you kiss the girl and get the trophy but I want the money"
BTW...I'm pretty sure that the old '62 Bel-Air that he was driving was an old Ned Jarrett car. I don't think Wendell even repainted it, it was still a silver-blue. Just changed the number.

oil4kids

Well Known Member
Nice Smokey Yunick story on the speed channel show called American Muscle Car will be on tonight again 2am

had interviews with Ray Fox and had film of the 63 Black and Gold Impala with the mystery motor

worth making a video copy