A real 61 4door impala 409?????

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
The auto trans kills it for me. if it were an original "623" stamped 409 block, that would be special. i highly doubt this is a 1961 409 engine.

Best,

TomK

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Suggest it is a 348 , I might have learnt something over the last few years.

Is the grille badge a small block one ?

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It's a wonder it's not an SS too, when I buy it I will add the SS package so I can sell it for really big money. A 61 SS 409 automatic 4 door Sport Sedan. If it's Canadian, I can get it GM documented too.:dance
Don

Jim409_Pontiac

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
This is an answer to an email request from a guy on the other site.

With the large response weve got from this ad. I am going to have the car moved away from the garage wall so people can come down and go over it. It does have a 409 in it. You will see it in there. This car was custom ordered from the factory with this engine in it. We are off to the lake and will be back some time next week. Once we have the car out so people can go all around it

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yep, per his email response, I see it in there a 348 with the dipstick on th drivers side, not a 409!!!!!!!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
From what I've learned here :bow,The dipstick is on the wrong side,this engine in the picture has a cast iron intake on it,not alloy as a performance engine would have had,no 409 in 61-62 had an automatic behind it.What we have here ia a person who sees those "funny "valve covers on it ,so it must be a 409 !:bat