A/S in 1964

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Love the S/S early days. My 64 Belair would probably slot into A/S in 1964-65. I’m kind of bored with the old girl and want to spruce it up a little and get the A/S look going. Looking at George Klass’s site I notice there is really no pics of 64 Chev big cars maybe due to GM getting out. My car had a couple decals on the rear quarter glass so I had a bunch of vintage decals from collecting them over the years. I added a bunch but now I want todo something with the front wheels. Always wanted to put skinny whitewalls on this car. I have a set of Hurst pie crusts out back on factory steel wheels now.I like bias ply tires and Coker wants almost 200 bucks for a single tire. Cant so that anymore so I bought some Porta Walls and they are pretty cool. So my dilemma is whether to put a pair of vintage torque thrusts with the whitewalls or put them on steel wheels with my dog dish. I am thinking you couldnt run caps at the track anyway so maybe the torque thrusts would be a better move. All the 63 SS pics show a lot of guys did mags with whitewalls up front. I alread A lot of guys used steel wheels. Cant find a single pic of a 64 A/S car to look at. Can you tell its winter and I am bored ? What do you guys think ? I wish I could photoshop it before I do anything.

RussC

Well Known Member
My recent experience with ports walls is not good on modern tires. The sidewall on a radial tire balloons more than a bias tire they don't lay flat....might reconsider the bias ply

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I’m a big “NO!” when it comes to whitewalls. I tried it on my ‘55 Gasser (that I’m sure you remember, Bob) and I hated it so much that I couldn’t sleep that night and flipped the tires next morning. Looked better in my head than in person. Anyway, your car would look great with a brand new pair of 15x4 Torque Thrust that have been entirely spray-bombed with Cast Blast or Dark Gray paint so they look like Magnesium. I’ve seen this done a few times and it looks very good with a set of Coker ribbed sidewall Bias tires.

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Mark, i had a set of 15 x 5 M/T wheels on it years ago but didnt warm up to it. That style looks better and was seen more on Pontiacs. I have bias ply tires so ftment will be fine of the Porta Walls. I rember seeing a 65 Belair in very dark green metallic with dog dish caps and thin whites at a Super Chevy Indy way back when and it stuck with me. I just cant find any old 64 drag car pics.

Attachments

• B14ADF04-9ACA-401C-BE90-F9795DBD230B.jpeg
    B14ADF04-9ACA-401C-BE90-F9795DBD230B.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 42

Tom Miller

Well Known Member
Yep, same car for sure. I got the heads up about the car from my friend Dave Heilala over in Northville. Can't remember how Dave heard about it. There was also a 68-69 Nova parked with the 64.
Is your name Bob? I believe I've contacted you on Facebook in the past telling this same story on the car.
It's a great car, one of my "The one that got away" stories.

Tom Miller

Well Known Member
I would run the white walls.
I bought a set of G70-14 firestone wide oval 3/8 white pinstripes for my 63 BelAir. Don't have them on yet.
If it was a lowly Biscayne it would be blackwalls all the way, but on a more upscale Belair with the extra trim, I think the white walls are a welcome addition.

Attachments

• 20180607_200542.jpg
    20180607_200542.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 29

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Looks like you found one ! Yes I am leaning that way with the portawall. I dont have radials so they will work. I have a set of dragmasters and some Silvertowns ready to go. Cant get to the car just yet. Worse comes to worse I can just pull the portawalls off. Beats sending Coker 200 a pop.

Attachments

• FE0615AB-E3BB-4A65-82A4-308D979CDEBC.jpeg
    FE0615AB-E3BB-4A65-82A4-308D979CDEBC.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 25

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I would run the white walls.
I bought a set of G70-14 firestone wide oval 3/8 white pinstripes for my 63 BelAir. Don't have them on yet.
If it was a lowly Biscayne it would be blackwalls all the way, but on a more upscale Belair with the extra trim, I think the white walls are a welcome addition.
Is that Monaco Blue or ?

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
IMHO it looks like you need to fill up your rear wheel well with a deeper dished wheel and wider tire with skinny front tires......front tires look like a wider track width than the rear......or maybe it’s the picture........:dunno