A winter storm is coming!

El Rat

Well Known Member
Baytown Texas
Power and water off since Monday at 7am. Back on at 6 pm expected to go off again in 4 hours. Still below 30 oF at 8pm. Not since 1975 or so snow ❄️ on the ground. Power just went off thank you Texas utility what a bunch of maroons. This is not like a hurricane where you know it’s coming and can’t do anything about it..this a winter storm and the utility group should have been prepared! Stupid stupid stupid! Maroons!

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The NC tornado wa about 10 miles noth of me in Little River, SC. 3 fatalities and 10 injured. 50 homes damaged or destroyed.
Dick, When I mailed you those manifolds for your 409 they were delayed due to tornadoes and hurricanes, I sure hope you have a pretty view because man that’s a lot to live through in the last couple years:hide:fear2be safe!
I think it’s time to re-design my generator system, and maybe build a new wood gasification stove just in case there’s no gas either! At least then I could run my generator as long as there’s plenty of wood around and that’s not a problem here!

55Brodie

Well Known Member
Dick, When I mailed you those manifolds for your 409 they were delayed due to tornadoes and hurricanes, I sure hope you have a pretty view because man that’s a lot to live through in the last couple years:hide:fear2be safe!
I think it’s time to re-design my generator system, and maybe build a new wood gasification stove just in case there’s no gas either! At least then I could run my generator as long as there’s plenty of wood around and that’s not a problem here!
Yeah Tooth, hurricanes and tornadoes are not uncommon in these parts. In the 7 years we've been here we have had 4 hurricanes and 2 tornadoes touch down within a 1/4 mile of the house. I bit the bullet in late 2019 and bought a 9kw portable dual fuel generator from Tractor Supply. Momma gets a little cranky if there is no morning coffee! We do enjoy living here very much, great neighbors and everything needed is nearby. Thankfully all the tourists are at least 5 miles to the south starting at North Myrtle Beach and continuing south for another 30 miles or so.

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Business. We calibrate all things torque as it applies to the oilfield, whether its on the rig itself or shops' torque machines that build tools that drill the well. Hopefully the current administration keeps us employed.

Even more odd, to me anyways, was the most helpful guy I met up there was a damned Kiwi that drives a fuel altered. :wacko
GO THE ALMIGHTY KIWI:winner:winner

bobs409

Administrator
snowman-ploughed-cartoon.jpg

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I read this morning that 3.5 million barrels of oil is off line now due to the weather. That’s a lot. And the forecasts for Texas and OK are for freezing temperatures at night not ending before Friday.

I’ve been without power for 5 days in the winter once, but had a wood stove and borrowed a generator (now own one). Being somewhere without heat, water, etc would be awful. I hope you are not in that situation.

Hard to believe all your power grid was built to not handle cold, the engineers and decision makers failed big time. Having nuclear plants, gas power plants, wind, oil refineries, etc shut down due to cold is bizarre to those of us who have cold weather experience.

Junky

Well Known Member
About 10 years ago, we had back to back storms with about 3 days in between them. The first storm knocked out the power for about 9 days, and the second storm knocked out the power for 13 days. That is when I bought a 4 cylinder diesel Lister Petter 16KW generator. I also changed the manual off grid switch that was installed when we built the addition to the house in '92 to an automatic transfer switch. Since we have had the generator, we haven't had a power outage that lasted more than a day or so. What worries me more than not having power is that our phone is a land line, because there is very poor cell service, since the closest tower is in the next state. The strangest thing is that if you call 911, sometimes you get the MA dispatcher, and other times, you will get the CT dispatcher. I was told it is because on the tower they have antennas facing into CT to serve the CT customers. I called in an accident that was in MA near the state border, and it was answered by the CT dispatcher. He had a difficult time with the call, since he wasn't familiar with how to notify the MA state police, who in turn had to notify the town police. One of the joys of living in a rural area (CT) next to a urban town in MA.

Yeah Tooth, hurricanes and tornadoes are not uncommon in these parts. In the 7 years we've been here we have had 4 hurricanes and 2 tornadoes touch down within a 1/4 mile of the house. I bit the bullet in late 2019 and bought a 9kw portable dual fuel generator from Tractor Supply. Momma gets a little cranky if there is no morning coffee! We do enjoy living here very much, great neighbors and everything needed is nearby. Thankfully all the tourists are at least 5 miles to the south starting at North Myrtle Beach and continuing south for another 30 miles or so.

If I live in an area that had 2 tornadoes touch down within 1/4 mile of me, I would have a storm shelter dug in the back yard. Have you considered one?

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My neighbor down the road built a new house, a slab house with a vault that has 2 foot thick walls and a heavy door with vents and backup power. He built it in the corner of his garage above ground and it has an unbelievable amount of steel in it. Just for storms. Supposedly the whole house could come down and it shouldn’t be touched. Maybe that’s an option for people who can’t have a basement.

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
GO THE ALMIGHTY KIWI:winner:winner

Hahaha I'd love to visit at some point!

Well that was a hell of a week. 80 degrees today, 8 last week. All the home stores are out of pvc related items. We never lost power, I think our proximity to the hospital saved us. Internet has been out over a week now. Definitely an eye opener. Way too many people underprepared, myself included. There's no way i'll wait around for the government to fix the infrastructure. Time for a larger generator.