A winter storm is coming!

NCPOP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Does anyone remember the blizzard of 1947 or 1948? Back then it was common to have blizzards back to back every year.
Not born yet, but I remember the early 60s and it seems like lots of snow every year. We lived in town and would shovel the drive way. As we added to the pile it would get to high to throw it. We would sometimes make tunnels in the piles.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
1978 delivered a whopper as I recall. I had recently moved to Missouri and my folks back home in the suburbs of Cleveland were pelted with huge amounts of snow, no where to put it.

Woke up this morning to frozen pipes in parts of my own house, in the newer adidtion to boot. Haven't ever had that happen. Luckily other parts of the nearly 100 year old house are unfrozen. Had a furnace go out in a rental late Saturday, not much we can do until we get parts on Monday. Lots of space heaters going on in my place :). I bet the mancave is toasty, I might have to go out there for a visit :).

Stay safe! TomK

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Not born yet, but I remember the early 60s and it seems like lots of snow every year. We lived in town and would shovel the drive way. As we added to the pile it would get to high to throw it. We would sometimes make tunnels in the piles.
The tunnels were the best when we were kids. Then some kids around here died. Then parents put an end to it. Had like 5 kids die in one season. More die from falling through the ice but snow can be deadly.

Junky

Well Known Member
The tunnels were the best when we were kids. Then some kids around here died. Then parents put an end to it. Had like 5 kids die in one season. More die from falling through the ice but snow can be deadly.

You are correct. When I was active in EMS, we would get calls for kids that were injured by people driving into a pile of leaves, where the kids were playing under the leaves. Same with snow tunnels collapsing with children playing in the snow tunnels. No different that a snow avalanche, except that you knew where to dig to get them out. You have about 15 minutes to get out from under the snow before really bad things start to happen to your body. I sure don't miss those days when tragidy hit us hard, after working as fast as we could to save someone.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Business. We calibrate all things torque as it applies to the oilfield, whether its on the rig itself or shops' torque machines that build tools that drill the well. Hopefully the current administration keeps us employed.

Even more odd, to me anyways, was the most helpful guy I met up there was a damned Kiwi that drives a fuel altered. :wacko

How did he get there? Kiwis cant fly. LOL

Steve

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Your right James, the frost line here in St Louis is either 30 or 32" but if you go down to the Mo-AR border its only 10". My uncle was an architect and had a book that had a map of the country and listed all the frost lines, I couldn't believe that going only 150 or so miles south the frost line came up that much. So all those people down below the border have their pipes buried very shallow, could be trouble!
Yup, I grew up in upstate NY and central Ohio where they buried the water lines about 3' deep. When we built our house here (just north of San Antonio), they buried them about 12" deep. I am leaving a couple of cold water faucets drizzling in the sink. It is currently 16 (air temp) and going down to 9 degrees tonight. Current wind chill is 3 degrees with 12 mph wind and 84% humidity. They are forecasting 3-4" of snow overnight. Most of the city is closed (roads, grocery stores, buses, schools, etc.). Reminds me why I left Ohio. We had more ice storms there than snow.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Yup, I grew up in upstate NY and central Ohio where they buried the water lines about 3' deep. When we built our house here (just north of San Antonio), they buried them about 12" deep. I am leaving a couple of cold water faucets drizzling in the sink. It is currently 16 (air temp) and going down to 9 degrees tonight. Current wind chill is 3 degrees with 12 mph wind and 84% humidity. They are forecasting 3-4" of snow overnight. Most of the city is closed (roads, grocery stores, buses, schools, etc.). Reminds me why I left Ohio. We had more ice storms there than snow.
:good

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Its cold but its winter, we had real good weather through the end of January. The way I figure it we are way ahead as we could have had this kind of weather from mid December on. Only a few more weeks of real cold, usually around here March is cold and sloppy (wet) but not sub zero weather.

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Woke up to 7 degrees air temp and -11 wind chill this morning (normal low this time of year is low 40's), and was greeted by this outside:

I won't be working in the shop today - no heat or A/C in there, although it was still 40 degrees inside yesterday afternoon.
IMG_1960.JPG

Back yard
IMG_1977.JPG