A59C Air filter

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Trying to source an A59C air filter for a 63 409-425
with stock air cleaner........:scratch
There's apparently no cross over no. for this.

Show cars have 'em but has anyone found another source
like Car Quest or Napa or???..........:dunno

Has anyone bought one from Show Cars.

Appreciate any help

:cheers
bj

GasNOil

Well Known Member
I bought one from Show Cars. It's a decent piece, not horrible. I see NOS or NORS on eBay for $50-100 from time to time.

I don't think you can get one at the local auto parts store.... but I've been wrong before.

cuzineddy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Go down to your Auto Parts store who handles Hastings Filters. Ask for a AF26 Air filter. You might have to wait a day or two to get it, but it is an exact replacement for the A59C filter. The price at my auto parts store was $16.91! Oh yea-it's made in the USA too!!!

jwhotrod

Supporting Member 1
Cannister Filters

I was surprised last weekend, we drove down to Evansville, In for the Frog Follies and went thru Albion, IL and saw a company called Champion Labs. I wondered what they did and why there was such a big complex in a small town in southern IL. Well champion Labs is one of the largest filter Mfgrs in the world as it turns out.

They make filters for K&N, STP, Royal Purple and a lot of others, in fact they invented the oil pressure bypass valve in oil filters.

I dont have the link, but in a parts search on their web site they still list a 348/409 as active engines and list air/canister oil filters for same. Check em out they are right here in the midwest.

Big Jim

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hey cuzineddy

Thanx for the tip about Hastings AF26...........:bow

Found a place about an hour from here and ordered
two.........:deal

Now this is what I love about this site.......:D

:cheers
bj

bschulze

Well Known Member
Hastings AF26 Air Filter

The Amazon lead was great. I ordered a Hastings AF26 on 9/3 and received it on 9/7. The price was $7.45 with 7.06 shipping for a total of $14.51. Great price and sevice. The filter looks correct, with the top rubber flange larger than the bottom, just like the A59C. There are no numbers on the visible (when installed) top flange.

I just checked the site today and the price went up to $12.20 with $8.30 shipping. You guys must be buying this item and running up the price??

Still, far better than the $50 else where.

cuzineddy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
A59C Filter

Yea, I did the same--I ordered two. I don't know how long they will be available. We're all here to help!!

1960impala283

Well Known Member
Great lead on an afforable replacement, I plan on using my car so I will be replacing for spring tune ups.
The one I purchased from Show cars is black, but at shows I have seen red rubber and orange as well, where are they coming from? On the tripower air cleaner the rubber is exposed around the lid. What color are the hastings?

bschulze

Well Known Member
Question for Ian

Ian,

Question:

My 60 Impala was a tripower 348, but became a 283 way back. I'm going back...

What are you using for carbs? The loose carbs that came with the car were just junk. I've been accumulating carbs at swap meets, but am getting really conflicting advice. Is there a good guide/reference you are following? I'm talking as original as possible.

Thanks...

1960impala283

Well Known Member
It depends on how you want to accomplish the task. I have three sets. One set I purchased outright completed from "Ron's Tripowers" ready to run and complete, including tags, linkages, vaccuum switch and diaphram.

Ron Kellogg has a website. He had another set of original carbs without the accessories.

My second set is a complete original set I lucked out finding from a man who pulled a 1959 chevy motor out of a scrap car in 1960 to put in his Model A hot rod. I purchased the whole basket case motor for $350. I got a few of the missing pieces from "Show Cars Automotive"

My third set is 2gc carbs from 283 motors, going to buy some Speedway motors bases, and the linkages vaccumm parts from show cars.

The vacuum switch, power brake check, are difficult to find.

I purchased the "Faxon" 1960 Assembly manual, that helped a bit. I also purchased a cd off of ebay for tripowers, was a little helpful. There are variations to the set up, we had a post recently about this. I'll try and find it. You can add to that post.... I bumped the other post.

rick smith

the hastings af26 filter is a little over 3/16 shorter than the a59c filter. are you guys shimming the gap in with some thing ?
I have a ac a59c filter unless you look carefully at the bottom fit you don't notice it or don't have an orginal to see the difference it looks the same but is not. I noticed it because the filter was shifting around in the breather and not self centering solid like the ac a59c does. pic both laying flat on table

Attachments

• 20190620_195002.jpg
    20190620_195002.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 20190620_195020.jpg
    20190620_195020.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

427John

Well Known Member
Baldwin is another filter mfg.that still has them it is a pa-631 just picked up a couple today and it may be a little taller with the lid just layed on it barely has threads for the wingnut to start.The price is competitive with the hastings too.

427John

Well Known Member
Installed the lid over the filter and tightened the wingnut with the air cleaner off and could reach up thru the carb holes and pushed on the filter it seemes to be seated tightly between the top lid and the lower flange.

427John

Well Known Member
There was 1 website I saw that had wrong pic of 1 but the description didn't jive with the picture,others have the right pic,the ones I got are definitely very similar to the A59c 17" diameter with the top rubber being flanged.When I get a chance I'll post a picture.