Acrophobia ???

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
God Help those who do THIS for a living !!!!!

Warning:- Have you got a head for heights ?

Just wait for the cartoon intro to finish, then hold on to your seat.

I couldn't DO IT !!!!

Bill

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Made me extremely nervous just watching. I wouldn't/couldn't do it for all the money in the world.

How in the world did they build it in the first place???

Clyde

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I know a guy that does that kind of work

:crazy I have done the Wind Bird on a Carrier in dry dock in Newport News but that is something. That high up has to have you wondering who built it and how good there work is.:scratch

mike bell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Bill That brought back some BAD MEMORIES for me. After I got out of school, a family friend offered me a job with Big Boy Steel Erectors. The starting pay was about 7-8 times what I was making at the body shop. I think that it was around 20.00 dollars an hour or so to start! Remember this is in 1965- nobody that kind of money!!!! My being a dumb 18 year old kid, took the job without thinking why they paid that kind of money. The first several weeks were great, I was only up about 3-4 stories installing the steel subfloors, no problem. Then my foremen told me that they were short several men uptop and I would have to "lend a hand". When the crane elevator stopped we were 17 or so stories up and they wanted me to carry 50 pound boxes of rivits across an 12 inch steel beam about a hundred or so feet to where they were heating the rivits before they were installed. on my return of the second trip, the lightbulb went off in my head and I realized where I was at. I sat down and stratled that beam and slid on my butt untill I got to the end and solid footing. I realized how much I enjoyed doing body work and working for 2.75 an hour. I then informed the foremen that he was nuts, everyone up there was nuts and "Iquit" End of story and my chance for the big bucks! It takes a special person to do that type of work and I take my hat off to them. Since then I do my best to keep my feet planted firmly on the ground! Mike

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Towers

Gee Whiz, Mike. Where's your INGUSTINAL FORTITUDE?

Lonnie

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Like the song says

Bill That brought back some BAD MEMORIES for me. After I got out of school, a family friend offered me a job with Big Boy Steel Erectors. The starting pay was about 7-8 times what I was making at the body shop. I think that it was around 20.00 dollars an hour or so to start! Remember this is in 1965- nobody that kind of money!!!! My being a dumb 18 year old kid, took the job without thinking why they paid that kind of money. The first several weeks were great, I was only up about 3-4 stories installing the steel subfloors, no problem. Then my foremen told me that they were short several men uptop and I would have to "lend a hand". When the crane elevator stopped we were 17 or so stories up and they wanted me to carry 50 pound boxes of rivits across an 12 inch steel beam about a hundred or so feet to where they were heating the rivits before they were installed. on my return of the second trip, the lightbulb went off in my head and I realized where I was at. I sat down and stratled that beam and slid on my butt untill I got to the end and solid footing. I realized how much I enjoyed doing body work and working for 2.75 an hour. I then informed the foremen that he was nuts, everyone up there was nuts and "Iquit" End of story and my chance for the big bucks! It takes a special person to do that type of work and I take my hat off to them. Since then I do my best to keep my feet planted firmly on the ground! Mike

"in 65, i was 17" and like Mike says above, i made 2.75 an hour that summer(big money around here) working for a tuckpointing company. We used electric grinders to grind the mortar from between the bricks on buildings and replaced the mortar. We would hang off of the side of the building using a scaffolding and lower with ropes. Nothing nearly as high as the tower dudes though-big kahoonas there. I bought my first Harley that year.

I remember when a crew was replacing bolts on a tv tower years ago about 15 miles from here. There were 3 guys working way up on the tower and evidently they took out one too many bolts because about half of the tower came down and all three lost their lives.

mike bell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Gee Whiz, Mike. Where's your INGUSTINAL FORTITUDE?

Lonnie

Lonnie Sometimes FEAR and just a bit of COMMON SENCE take over :?:? Twenty dollars an hour don't mean much when your shakin' like a leaf and you feel like breakfast is about to leave you at any moment!!! Mike

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My wife knew someone that did this and the pay was only 14.00/ hour. This was about 10 years ago. I'm with Don..."H@ll No"!!!!!

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Heights

You are right Mike. No way that you would catch ol' Lonnie up there either. I would say you made a wise decision by coming down from there. Some jobs just aren't for some people. "A man has got to know his limitations".

Lonnie