Add on, conversion, upgrade, what ever you want to call it

Randy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The other day I was talking to a guy at a car show and he asked me if I can add dual quads to my 409. Of course I told him, being the man that I am.
I felt like Tim the toolman Taylor, more power oohh,Oohh !
But really guys what would it take? I have a 63 409 340hp It has never been rebuilt, steel intake and stock exhaust manifolds. The distributor is a marine type dual point but converted to Petronic. To me it is pretty much stock except for the Holly carb and distributor and gas line. It runs great, does not burn any oil and the compression is great.
What do ya think, be gentle ?

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Well,yes you CAN do it with the right Eddie,or Offy manifold,but WHY would you go to that bother and expense on a good running engine that's serving you well,and making all the power that you'll need.2-4'S are just an unnecessary expense,especially since on this mild build that set up would be "eye candy".A complete set up from Edelbrock will set you back about 1500 dollars,and you MIGHT pick up 20 horsepower.That's a pretty steep hp/dollar spent deal.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Just wondering Don, what CFM flow of the two carbs. would you run on the above engine?? Probably 500 cfm each?? Is that too much?? Thanks, Carmine.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Carmine,most of these Eddie kits use 500 cfm carbs.A stock 340 horse wouldn't need anything bigger than 625,especially when using the stock manifolds.To be really effective,he'd need a cam swap as well as headers to get the most out of it.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Talked with a couple of guys at the BBT 50's car show this past month, they had dual quad 409's with the new Demon carbs on them. Both owners were pretty happy with the way the new carbs run.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
If I'm buying a new carb,and have the Demon and the Eddie,I'd go with the Demons most of the time.This isn't to say that the Eddies are bad,far from it.I've seen several reports that say he Demon's are jetted better,and I like several of the carbs other features as well.

El Rat

Well Known Member
I have a 63 340 hp with a p-glide. It has a hot rod converter offy manifold and two 500 cfm eldbrock carbs. It ran really well before it stuck a valve. It looks really really nice so there is something to eye candy!

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I always like looking at multi-carbureted engines. They are eye candy. Mine with the single carb. runs really well. Never had a strong desire for 2 4 barrels. To truly benefit from them, I think I would have to make other changes which I don't want to, Carmine.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I have to admit, I really dig multiple carb setups :) :) :). Even if they aren't getting you that much more performance...

I happen to think they set an engine bay off just like those valve covers do. It's all about the look, and you will have bragging rights, whatever the horsepower rating is.

Find a good buy on Ebay (or at a swap meet) for an intake, pick up a couple of used carbs, modify the linkage, top it with breathers that show off the carbs, and you've got instant eye candy!

TomK

P.S. In the end, it's your decision!