Added Dual Electric Fans

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Did everything in this world to have my 409 run cool with the stock thermal fan in the stock shroud.
But my 409 has to have more air then the stock system can deliver. So finally installed a dual fan with Aluminum shroud today.
After everything was installed and the car was running inside my garage for 30 minutes (outside temp being 89*, so you know it was hot inside my garage) with very little outside air in he garage, the 409 runs at 180* and stayed at 180*
I’m happy that it can handle the hot temp of summer without moving, but I don’t like the look.
Guess you have to give some to get something.
Looking forward for driving the Detroit area Woodward Dream Cruise this year.
Thanks to Pat Lobb for convincing me the stock look sometime has to be dropped for the function. When you stopped to look at my 62 last year at the Dream Cruise and we talked about this very subject.

Dave

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Paul, I went with Derale Series A12 Dual Powerpack #66831 from Summit Racing, size 24”w/15-1/2”h/shroud depth 2-3/4” for a overall depth of 4-1/2”.
This unit has high output 225 watt motors, with 3750 combined CFM, with the PWM control Module. The PWM module adds 13/16” to the overall height.
I’m using my stock 4-core radiator and I made the 4 brackets to use the stock mounting bolts.
As I said it was function not looks I was after.
That’s my sons radiator support for his 62 wagon.

Dave354F1939-01D4-4AC7-B6C4-6A6305912D95.jpeg354F1939-01D4-4AC7-B6C4-6A6305912D95.jpeg354F1939-01D4-4AC7-B6C4-6A6305912D95.jpeg354F1939-01D4-4AC7-B6C4-6A6305912D95.jpegE0964962-A0FF-4EEF-BF0B-969AE9EFCD04.jpeg3D9A1BCF-F97C-47D7-A29B-C8F98C926A75.jpeg

Attachments

• AADBB891-89BE-4968-9C55-8276A1A5862C.jpeg
    AADBB891-89BE-4968-9C55-8276A1A5862C.jpeg
    96.1 KB · Views: 9

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Mike, somehow I didn’t think about painting it, may follow-up on that.
Don, the brackets are made from a strip of Aluminum I purchased at Home Depot.

Dave

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Thanks for reply I deleted my post before your reply sorry.. I thought maybe if I read the post thoroughly it would give me the answers . Pusher or puller on the air? I know they can be wired either way ,just wondering what you did?

El Rat

Well Known Member
I live east of Houston and as you might expect temps are always north of 95 in the summer. My 09 is always below 210 in the worst possible conditions. I think you should look a little deeper into your over heating problems not just put a bandaid on it. What happens if you’re out and the electric fan(s) puke...do you just park it...just sayin.

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
El Rat,
my 62’s 409 engine was built by a VERY good builder, he’s a member here on this site. I won’t give out his name for he build the engine as a favor, as he has for others he knows. I’m not going to change his engine settings unless it’s necessary.

Maybe I didn’t explain what I was after or why I was going the electric fans.

This 3rd weekend of August is the Detroit areas Woodward Ave. Dream Cruise. In some areas of the 16 miles in both directions my 62 is fine because it’s moving as the 62 was built for, that’s normal stop & go traffic. But in other areas of the same cruise route their is no way my 409 is going to survive without over heating. Just once I’d like to go the complete route without turning off.
My engine & set-up run fine in normal traffic conditions, even in everyday Michigan’s 90’s* & hi humidity.

This electric fan set-up isn’t for every day driving, but for certain condition, say moving a mile in a 3/4 hour or longer.
The way I have it set-up now I can go back and forth (changing from stock fan & shroud to electric fans) in 45 minutes.
So I’m into both worlds.

Dave

Last edited:

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Last year our 409 ran hot. Replaced the water pump (leaking) and put an aluminum one from Speedway on it along with a smaller pulley and the hottest it as gotten so far this year is 185° in traffic. Before it ran over 200° at times.

El Rat

Well Known Member
As before, my 09 never gets hot! When we go to the Kemha cruise in it can take an hour or more to get over the Kemah bridge a distance of a half mile or less. If had a problem on the bridge I’d be cussed to high heaven. I think my 09 could idle a full tank of gas and not get hot. It was built by a shade tree mechanic with a mechanical engineering degree. Just sayin..

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
As before, my 09 never gets hot! When we go to the Kemha cruise in it can take an hour or more to get over the Kemah bridge a distance of a half mile or less. If had a problem on the bridge I’d be cussed to high heaven. I think my 09 could idle a full tank of gas and not get hot. It was built by a shade tree mechanic with a mechanical engineering degree. Just sayin..
Why did your engine self distruct recently?:poke

El Rat

Well Known Member
I b fairly familiar with HP. I’ll get to work on mine immediately. I’ll start by getting a famous engine builder to get mine to over heat. Thank you for the tip.

El Rat

Well Known Member
It came to me after being built by a famous engine builder maybe yours regardless it went less than 100 miles before it ate itself. Since then I built it / rebuilt it ground up. I salvaged block and crank everything else new. You might check with your famous engine builder and see if he “built” a W motor for a gent in Minnesota.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
It came to me after being built by a famous engine builder maybe yours regardless it went less than 100 miles before it ate itself. Since then I built it / rebuilt it ground up. I salvaged block and crank everything else new. You might check with your famous engine builder and see if he “built” a W motor for a gent in Minnesota.
Mine was machine worked by a reputable shop in Wichita ,ks. It was assembled by a father and son . The son told me his dad had many, many 409 engines and raced them all his life and he knew the tricks . The shop prepped all machine work and the assembly of motor would be the last one the father would assemble because of his failing health. I drove this engine before purchasing and I got all paper work to go with it that was done. The engine runs very strong ,I was very impressed how it run. Mine is a 1964 400 hp car engine.

Last edited: