Adding mechanical gauges to your factory hot/cold lights/ dash warning light lights

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So my 64 stock Intake manifold has a spot for the threaded dual dummy lights for the hot cold temp sensor.
While that is very cool and nostalgic , I want to add a set of gauges somewhere under the dash, that gives me a nice number to monitor from the drivers seat.

I want the oil pressure and Temp gauge to both be mechanical. Is there anyone who has done this? I am sure probably a kazillion times, if so, ?
what ports are you using if I use the current ports for the intended factory switches.

It is a factory 409/340 with original intake manifold, single 4 barrel.

do they make a "Y" type fitting? or is there other ports that I am not aware of that can be used?

Also if you have a good brand reference I would be interested also, I am wanting like a 3 gauge set up type system.

Last edited:

Eric Kozmic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
If you like, I can post some pics of my Stewart Warner Gauge package I have on Blanche. It's a 3 gauge cluster showing oil pressure, temp and voltage. The SW gauges look period correct which is why I love them. Great quality too.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes Kozmic that would be awesome, so did you leave the factory lights or did you replace them completely with the SW gauges?

55 Brodie I agree, but...... I have always loved the nostalgic of the lights, not real useful in my opinion, but still kind of cool, its like its telling you when you can take off, lol, BUT on the other hand I do let my vehicles warm up before I take off, so I may keep them functioning, its just to do that, I need to either use a TEE or a Y so there is a place to put the probe/sensor. I am sure on these W engines there has to be a auxiliary port to use.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I have SW ammeter, mechanical oil and temperature. All were put in as soon as I bought the car in late 63. They are mounted center under the dash. I don't have hot and cold lights. The temp tube is in the intake where the hot/cold sender used to be. A volt meter would be better than the ammeter, but I have not changed it out.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
But DON'T use that plastic line to the gauge!
I had the plastic line, on my 64, when I was young.:doh I left my car running, and went in, to my house. Maybe 5 minute's.:dunno When I came out, I found the top, of my 4-speed console, coated in Kendall GT-1 oil.:dropThe oil also, made it's way, to my carpet.:bang Years after that, I could push down on the metal top plate, of the console, and oil would still ooze out.:doh Plastic Line is Crap,

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Plastic lines have been linked to fires because of failure,and are illegal per NHRA and IHRA.That's good enough for me.
I agree. I'm not a big fan of plastic line either. I use copper tubing. Take a look at Speedway. I think at one time they offered copper installation kits for various gauges. I may have even gotten mine from them, Carmine.