Adjusting shifting linkage

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. I was able to free up the trans. and got the arms on the lift changed around. I have some friends coming over this Friday to help with the adjustment of the shifter and rods. I will consult my manuals but nothing like hearing from someone who has done this before. I've done some adjusting before but this one is way out. What I'm thinking is to look first for smoothness, no contact and no binding of the shifting rods. I'll have someone in the car and have them put it in reverse. I'll watch the rod and reverse ear on the trans. I'll then unhook it and see if the ear will go further into gear by hand. Where ever it stops, I will lengthen or shorten the shifting rod according. I'll do the 1st and 2nd, 3rd and 4th the same way, making sure each time the gear is fully engaged, the rod is adjusted properly with the shifting lever in the correct position. Does this sound about right?? I'm assuming the neutral gate/position in the shifter will seek its own proper position based on the trans. I don't know if you can adjust the shifting mechanism itself. I recall 2-3 bolts holding it onto the trans. Don't recall being able to move this once the bolts were started. The shifter is a Hurst brand. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. Thank you, Carmine.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
A hurst shifter has a line up rod that goes through all the arms on the shifter to line up everything correctly. There is a small hole in the side of the shifter for the rod to be installed.
You can use a small philips screw driver. You install the shifter line up rod, remove each arm from the transmission -put transmission stud in gear, adjust the
threaded pin to fit on the tranmission -do 1/2 and 3/4 gears and reverse then remove the line up rod.

Paul

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
A hurst shifter has a line up rod that goes through all the arms on the shifter to line up everything correctly. There is a small hole in the side of the shifter for the rod to be installed.
You can use a small philips screw driver. You install the shifter line up rod, remove each arm from the transmission -put transmission stud in gear, adjust the
threaded pin to fit on the tranmission -do 1/2 and 3/4 gears and reverse then remove the line up rod.

Paul
You mean for us guys that have lost the tool that came with the shifter?lol.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks Paul for bringing that video to my attention. Very informative. I watched it twice and made notes. I'm looking forward to making the proper adjustments. I'm really glad I posted and asked about this, because as usual, I had things backasswards, Carmine.

Paul
What a great video! I put that shifter in my 63 SS with an original looking round stick shifter. The original shifter was badly worn and kept getting stuck into two gears. Havent tried it yet, resto isnt quiet finished but looks good in the car. Wished I had seen this video before I put it in. It does a great job . Thanks for the post.

Ben

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Here is a video for hurst linkage. At 27:40 in the video you can see the white line up rod in the shifter body. It holds all the shifter arms in neutral

He clearly shows how to do the adjustment.

Paul

His clutch video was excellent also, thank you for posting......racing and high end manual trans was cool too......

Last edited:

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Just came in from the garage and made the linkage adjustments on the trans. Everything was there that I saw in the video. Made a line up pin from a piece of round 1/4" aluminum rod which I bent to be able to use it. The only rod that I had to adjust was the reverse one. I also had it on back assward. No wonder why the linkage jammed. The one lock out bolt was tough to get to, but did get it done. Haven't tried it yet. Its still on the lift. I finally got the right adjustment on the rod for the backup lights and I lost the clips. Off to HD to get some more. Hope they have them. Also need to get some spackle for the wall. When I changed the arms of the lift around so that I could back onto it, giving me a lot of room in the front to install the motor, I initially raised the car and heard not a good noise coming from the back. The back bumper hooked onto some shelves and ripped them out of the wall. Oh boy. So, for being careless, I have to do a little sheetrock and taping. Use to do it parttime when I was a younger fellow, but I haven't been young in a while, Carmine.

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I never could afford one of those fancy Hurst shifters, I have to stick with the old Muncies. I do have a nice piece of steel stock lovingly filed to the correct dimensions to fit the line up hole on them.