After Market AM/FM Radio

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Looking for an AM/FM radio basic radio for my '58 and was wondering if anyone bought one of these radio and if so, your review?

https://www.classiccarstereos.com/1...Dn3gwWGOoPWJ8tdbMi9jb3hYc_cR9StAaAhIbEALw_wcB

CAM-IMP58-230-1958-Impala-Radio-USA-230_540x540.jpg

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I have bought two. One for my '61 Corvette and one for my '69 K5 Blazer (which actually gets shipped to Illinois on Reliable tomorrow). They are adequate if you don't want a pounding systemIMG-2561.jpgIMG-2456.jpg. If you arc the positive wire by mistake the mother board will fry instantly without even tripping the inline fuse - ask me how I know. I only have 5 1/4" Harmon Kardon speakers in the kick panels of both and the Corvette has a dual speaker in the dash. Sound is okay. No deep bass with the set ups I have but they are better than the am radios. Both old am radios actually worked and the Corvette is a tube type - takes awhile to come on.

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
A third one is probably in my future as the radio in the '62 is not working. I have to check if it is wired but haven't had a chance to get under the dash yet.

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'll only use the FM to connect the blue tooth to receive cell calls, directions with waze map and Amazon "Golden Oldies" music.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have 2, one in the elky and one in the 62...the elkys radio wont work and has mebbe 4 hours of play and the impala works fine if you have low expectations...they beat whatever is out there as these guys seem to have the market

Hoyt99

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I put One in my 1967 Buick Skylark. It was quite adequate as an acceptable alternative to the Sonomatic AM radio. With the 63 Impala, I just put a very nice Alpine in the glove box, which is almost as convenient as putting it in the trunk if you actually have to use it without a helper in the passenger seat.

Good luck, no down side to your uni, so go for it. My wife tells me “you only regret what you don’t buy”.... (not referring to my toys however)

Chip

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I put One in my 1967 Buick Skylark. It was quite adequate as an acceptable alternative to the Sonomatic AM radio. With the 63 Impala, I just put a very nice Alpine in the glove box, which is almost as convenient as putting it in the trunk if you actually have to use it without a helper in the passenger seat.

Good luck, no down side to your uni, so go for it. My wife tells me “you only regret what you don’t buy”.... (not referring to my toys however)

Chip
If you had a 62 the glove box would be in the center, Lol