Aftermarket Power Steering box question

Karfever

Supporting Member 1
My 62 has a 605 power steering box, but it seems to be very loose/sloppy with alot of play at the box its self. I have heard that most of these 605 boxes are rebuilt units and prone to these type of issues.
I am looking at replacing the 605 box with a CPP 500 series box. Would this be a good choice or is there something else I should be looking at?

Thanks

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I don't have the knowledge to tell you about the CPP 500,but I know there are radiators out there for our cars that have a notch for clearance from the box......not sure of the application but could be a major consideration.just throwin that out there.......

Karfever

Supporting Member 1
I had heard about those type of radiators. Presently I don't have any clearance issues with the 605 box.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The 605 has a loose feel not because it's rebuilt but because that's how they feel. Back in the day most people wanted no effort steering, turn the wheel with one finger kind of a thing. The newer trend is for road feedback which is more of a sports car feeling, more common with rack and pinion.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
We put a 605 box on a '62 Impala convertible. Steers fine, not loose at all. Is your box adjusted properly?

Karfever

Supporting Member 1
What my problem is I have a good amount of play in the steering wheel right at the box (input) Maybe it is an adjustment issue (gear mesh)?
Anyone have the correct technique to adjust this 605 box?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Loosen the nut at the top of the steering box[engine off],turn the adjusting stud down,while at the same time "rocking" the steering coupler back and forth until the play is removed,then tighten the nut down.I have found it best to leave a small amount of play in there,but only enough to feel a little slack.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
THE main adjustment is the sector adjustment screw up on top,turn the wheels all the way to the right then to the left then back to center,loosen the nut on top of the gearbox while holding the adjuster screw steady,turn the screw clockwise gently until it just stops,snug the nut.start the engine turn the wheels and see how it feels,should be no binding and no tight spots in the center of high point or straight ahead position if there is then the box is heavily worn and is a candidate for replacement or being sent out to be rebuilt.Have some one turn your steering wheel back and forth in quick rotation about a half turn back and forth through high point and you get under car and see if you see any loose joint's that have side to side movement , like tie rod end's or Pitman arm joint's . Don't have to start engine for that, if no looseness in steering linkage then that indicates you have loose gear box only.What Don J said too ,but he type's faster than me.

Last edited: