agriculture 348

i have a 348 ag/industrial engine. block casting #3857655. front pad stamped TO3233AM. has an X on front of block. i was told that this engine block is stronger than most other W blocks with thicker webbing ect. also was told it could be bored to 409 bore.. and that it is wanted by the serious race builders. can anyone tell me anything about this engine. just wanting to know what i have. thank you

Attachments

• block x 004.JPG
    block x 004.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 23
  • air 018.JPG
    air 018.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 23
  • air 020.JPG
    air 020.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 23

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Your 655 block is one of the better 348 blocks made back in the day, with more reinforcement and better main caps than the earlier 348 blocks. Not sure about how far it can be bored, that would depend on how it sonic checks. But it's not "in the same category" as a 409 block, sorry to say. At least in terms of value. Plus they are somewhat common. But then so a 409 truck blocks, and they have greater value.

As to demand by serious racers, they would want the 409 block before that particular 348 block. You can get more cubes out of the 409 block after a bore/stroke increase. That's what serious racers would want, IMHO.

You might want to check to see if it has one "eyebrow" or two, that would also make a difference. I would think that all the 655 casting would have a single cut out, reducing compression a bit.

Others may chime in with their insights and opinions.

Good luck! TomK

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
General rule of those blocks is a max.of .125 over,and then only if it was verified by a sonic check as many wouldn't go that far.The 409 bore is .187 bigger than the 348.A few have been done but I've never heard of a 655 block going near there.Tom's right about the 409 block being prefered for really big inches.If you take that 655 block out .060 and add a 4 inch stroke you now have 440 cubic inches.Good heads,cam and induction and 500 streetable horse power is easily achieved

Last edited: