Ahat ins. co.

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Just shows to go ya you're never safe when dealing with Ins. company's even when you didn't have anything to do with anything. Couple a years ago I bought a Jeep Commander up in Detroit Michigan and drove it home end of story.....Not so much. After I owned it for about six months I started getting phone calls that I guessed was the Ins. Company asking questions about the seller & what I knew about the history of the jeep which was nothing

They wanted to send someone out to the house and give the Jeep an inspection so after I tried to get rid of the guy and a couple phone calls later I told him I'll take it out to the State Highway Patrol barracks and he said that would be ok, so I did and told him they plugged it in and inspected the Jeep and everything was Hunky Dory. About a month went by and he called and still wanted to inspect the Jeep and I told him that me taking it to the Patrol Barracks was as good as it was gonna get so leave me alone.

Well around the first part of this year a woman started calling so I just ignored her phone calls then he started calling again so I ignored his calls well anywho A Sheriff shows up at the door today with a subpoena it appears that they are going to force me to let them inspect the Jeep .Can they legally do this to me I think all this interest is just for a accident unless maybe it could be for a hit & run I would think I should be able to tell them to pound salt?

Mark

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
When you do meet with them have your lawyer present.He can tie them in knots if they're from out of state.

Sept. 2 Don . I tried calling the Ohio Insurance Dept. after James mentioned it and they were still open for 17 more minutes but you know how that goes by that time they were already leaning on their shovel's and dreaming of their after work cocktails so they ignored the call. I hate Ins. company's anyway through my life most of the time they gave me nothing but grief and when their ordering me around for something I had nothing to do with lets just say it puts me a mood of not wanting to cooperate with them and push's me right into a hatefull mood.

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Do you know why they want to inspect the jeep?

Not at this point Mike it has something to do with an accident that happened when his daughter was driving it so I don't know if there's a fraud issue or possibly hit & run or what. I know according to Carfax it was in a couple of minor accidents, I do know I would like to be able to tell them to stick it up their azz as I've already said that these Ins. company's I really have a strong dislike for and this does nothing but throw more wood on the fire for my dislike for them then you add some pushy lawyers in the mix and its a recipe for a Nitro cocktail.

Mark

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Mark,I totally get your feelings,but there are slimy lawyers behind this for it too get this far and a defiant attitude from you is playing into their hands so cover your own ass,even though you shouldn't have to.It's the surest way to win.A good lawyer might even be able to sue that ins.company for some kind of harresment and you come out a few bucks ahead.

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
There just trying to bust this guy who I bought the Jeep off of and I guess I'm holding up the wagon train of forward progress. Evidently there's something they can learn from the computer and I don't know what that could entail on a 08 Jeep I don't know how advanced computers were back then. I'm going to get ahold of the Ohio Insurance Dept. and see if I have any rights.

Mark

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Not at this point Mike it has something to do with an accident that happened when his daughter was driving it so I don't know if there's a fraud issue or possibly hit & run or what. I know according to Carfax it was in a couple of minor accidents, I do know I would like to be able to tell them to stick it up their azz as I've already said that these Ins. company's I really have a strong dislike for and this does nothing but throw more wood on the fire for my dislike for them then you add some pushy lawyers in the mix and its a recipe for a Nitro cocktail.

Mark
If it had something to do with an accident...... why wouldn’t they have been able to obtain the information that they needed from the computer the first time they looked at it ........there’s not any more information and at this time there was last time, about a previous accident.......... they only have so many rights
Tell your lawyer to let them know 50 grand and they get the jeep.......

Junky

Well Known Member
Send the Jeep to the scrap yard and have it crushed. Then when they come, show them a block of steel in the back yard, and tell them to have fun examining it.
Seriously, I know what they are looking for. and that is insurance fraud. They probably paid a lot of money on a collision claim, and now they want to make sure that all the parts that they paid to change have been changed. It is not uncommon for an insurance company wanting to re-examine a vehicle after repairs have been performed to make sure that all that was supposed to be changed was changed.
Years ago, I had a Mazda Cosmo that my girlfriend rolled over, and I had it repaired. Upon re-examination the adjuster said to me, that they paid for a new roof panel and bows, and I didn't repair it the way that they had paid for it to be repaired. I explained that the parts would have to come from Japan, and that it would take between 6 and 8 months to get here, so I opted to buy a complete used roof panel from a salvaged vehicle, which cost more in parts, but less in labor, but overall, it was a wash money wise. I also pointed out that since they were paying for a rental vehicle, this was the less expensive way. He still balked, so I explained that we still have the rental vehicle and the damaged sheet metal, and that I will put back the damaged parts, and order new sheet metal and bows, and have them installed. This would all be in addition to all the other minor parts that would need to be replaced due to hidden damage that they didn't pay for. He sent in his report, and I got a call from the insurance company claims manager, saying that the adjuster was an idiot, and that they would be releasing the funds for the repair, and once the funds clear, the rental car had to be returned. I also told the claims manager that I have a supplemental bill for some additional work that needed to be performed, and he said to send it in and they would pay for that also. In the end, they would have been better off to have totalled the car originally, but as so often happens, the first adjuster to look at the car has no idea what he is looking at, and says to fix it. Once they tell you to fix it, they are on the hook for all the additional expenses that are discovered after the job is opened up. That is why today, they are quick to total a car rather than gamble on the cost of the repairs.

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I got in touch with them today and at this point they told me that the guy I bought the Jeep off of is the guy their going after but that's all they told me so far I think the next time they call they'll have a little more info. I read the riot act to the poor broad on the phone I told her just exactly what I thought of lawyers & insurance company's. When the lawyer in charge called me I told him you guys managed to get me pissed off with the phone harassment but when I got the subpoena you just pushed it a little to far. I told him if I have to take off work its going to cost you $75 an hr. X 8 and boy did he baulk at that, he said its only going to take a couple of hours he's going to have to check with the company that he's working for and I said yeah it will be interesting to see what a big Insurance company thinks my time is worth so I think he knows he's dealing with a hostile witness.

Mark

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Hire a good[oxymoron I know but]lawyer,and tell the ins.co.lawyer that henceforth ALL matters dealing with this are to go through him.They not only will have to pay you,but your lawyers bill as well.Then watch their butts pucker up.:angry:mock"Don't get mad,get even".:deal