Air Shock Help

Coleman

Anybody running rear air shocks. Gabriel? I want to purchase a set for my 61 and need a part number. 2015 059.jpg

bobs409

Administrator
My best advise is DON'T DO IT! Air shocks beat the heck out of the upper shock mounts as they transfer the load and road shock right to that area. The more air, the worse it gets. I tore an upper mount apart on mine.

Air bags inside the coils is a much better idea.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I put air lift 1000 bag's in my spring's. You can adjust height individually with a line to each bag, or with a t fitting to raise both up at one time . I have mine separate so i can level out if needed, all fitting's come with kit. Yes these will raise and yes it will ride firmer in rear if you inflate higher pressure's.I only raise the rear about a inch and a half.Stock height just look's to low to me even though i have new correct spring's.If you carry heavier load's at time's you can raise to desired level.That's what is nice about these you can adjust anytime.

Coleman

I put air lift 1000 bag's in my spring's. You can adjust height individually with a line to each bag, or with a t fitting to raise both up at one time . I have mine separate so i can level out if needed, all fitting's come with kit. Yes these will raise and yes it will ride firmer in rear if you inflate higher pressure's.I only raise the rear about a inch and a half.Stock height just look's to low to me even though i have new correct spring's.If you carry heavier load's at time's you can raise to desired level.That's what is nice about these you can adjust anytime.

Is this the kit y'all recommend? Jeg's Part #

Air Lift#022-60713

Drag Bag Kits
  • 1958-64 Bel Air
  • 1958-64 Biscayne
  • 1959-64 Impala
  • Rear Kit 022-60713.jpg

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Yes those are what I have.I had trouble on one hose being pinched shut as the hose come,s out the bottom .You have to drill a hole in lower control arm for hose. I made that hole a little bigger than what is recommend, as the fill stem is on the bottom that goes through the flat round bottom seat"s and out of the control arm.

Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I ran my air fittings through the upper seat due to aftermarket lower control arms. Works good, and lots of clearance.
Thought about doing the hose on top , but looked like no room , so i did as Instruction's.I just figured if I don.t do it as per instruction"s it might bite me in the a zz.

Last edited: