Air Shocks and Main Carrier Bearing

cowsaredelicious

I'm looking to change the suspension setup to a air shock style where the pressure can be modified based on load and ride. On my '64 Cuda I put on Monroe Max-Air set and it works well but I have a couple questions:

1.) What other options should be considered w/in reason as we are looking to go to a ride-tech setup in a year or two, so keeping the cost down for this swap would be adventitious.

2.) While I don't believe it should change anything if its a direct swap will the suspension angle change with this type of swap where I would need to readjust the main carrier bearing to ensure it doesn't cause binding and premature failure.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

1960 Impala Convertible, 348 3x2 with Turboglide

I attached a pic from Saturday at the Blue Ribbon Beer Run; Great show and awesome location here in Milwaukee

(https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...mLga-2mWrfCsqTT9knFlOQ&bvm=bv.126130881,d.dmo)

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 28

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Shock mount on lower control arm is not as strong as you might think. Maybe use a solid bolt and fab up a new mount. Poly center bearing is the way to go and use it with a telescoping rear drive shaft.

s-l500.jpg

cowsaredelicious

thanks guys that's great info, what then would be your suggestion to modify the rear to "stiffer"? We are heading to NSRA nationals in Liousville in a couple weeks and the car is fine around town but when we load it up will all our crap for a week the car sits lower in the rear. I'd like to be able to adjust this somehow...

thoughts??