Alighnment WTF

Kaycee

Well Known Member
:confusedOk Front end completely rebuilt ,just redid inner and outer tie rods and new idler all moog parts. Pulled everything apart 1 at a time and reinstalled I measured tie rods and put he new ones according make it close to get it in for alighnment. Drivers side is straight and allso the steering wheel, but the pass. side is way the f $%* off I screwed the adjusting sleeve in until they bottomed out on the pass side but tire is off at least 20 degrees IDK what went wrong the idler arm used a spacer between the frame and idler. :dunno The tires wore great before no problems at all Do I split the difference between the sides to even it up ? Both sides were pretty equal in distance from center of inner to outer tie rods 19 3/4" on each side, now its 19 3/4 on drvs. side and about 18 on pass side .:wacko

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Do you have front tires hanging ,let it down and see if toe changes .adjust total toe with tires on ground. Let align shop do the cenering.

Kaycee

Well Known Member
Car in air, but jack stands under a-arms both inner and outer tie rods are bottomed out in sleeve on the 1 side other side is just like the one I took out plenty of adjustment left .

Kaycee

Well Known Member
OK think I got it figured out , took off the center link and eyeballed tires to pretty straight screwed the tie rods all the way in both sides all 4. got in the car and found center of steering wheel 6 1/2 turns left to right ,found center at 3 1/4 turns steering wheel was off 1/2 turn . Crawled back under and loosely attached center link back on and set my tie rods to where they can attach to wheels . My pitman arm is off by a couple splines now but think it will work once I get that corrected. Total length of all 4 tie rods equal to the old ones , Now I don't know if I have enough adjustment to alighn it should I try and grind off an 1/8 " of the tie rod threaed ends or bad idea .

Kaycee

Well Known Member
OK on the road to recovery :winnerStarted out but screwing the tie rods all the way in and installing it back in the car after steering wheel was aligned . Set up a string line around the car and made sure it was square to car took the measurement on all 4 wheels and adjusted front tie rods this took several times then put car on ground and re-adj usted several times . Went for a road test came back and readjusted some more, ANOTHER road test and she rides great have plenty of adj. left and can actually drive it to the alignment shop when I get a chance. Thanks everyone for the help I'LL BE BACK :salute :appl

Mize64Wagon

I’m new here thanks for all the info. I’ve been strolling this page for three weeks trying to find a solution for our 64 biscayne wagon we are having the same exact problem after installing new front end. The only thing left stock is the gearbox the pitman arm and the center link. Thanks again.

Mize64Wagon

What's the problem??
The exact same as Kaycee posted. One tie rod is adjusted out considerably Farther than the other brand new front end all new parts but after reading his post I think I finally figured it out but the weather here is not allowing us to work on it this week