Allow me to introduce myself......

Chromey60

I am Nick, I have a 1958 Bel Air 2 door sedan. That i bought just last August after selling my 1963 Impala 4 door sedan (I guess I have a thing for sedans
). Well with this 58 I have installed a power disc brake kit with lowering spindles and new 15" chrome smoothies and 2-1/2" wide white walls. But I am having trouble with the front tires rubbing when turning. I have changed the springs and shocks and still have a rub and I am out of ideas looking for advice.

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I would check my backspace on the Wheel, and if you have room for more backspace it'll pull the outside edge in farther from the fender. Only bad thing is you may have to get different Wheels with more backspace.:sorry2
Welcome, nice car. BLACK IS WHERE IT'S AT!

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Welcome to this great site Nick. What size tires are you using and where are the tires rubbing? Inner wheel house, frame, fender lip or??????

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Keep in mind there are only 1 or 2 kits that keep the factory offset. Most push the disc out about an inch or more. My wagon has that issue, but its manageable. In addition, I was dumb enough to put spacers on the back of the factory 14's thinking I could run the 14's without issue but it was an issue. You are more likely to find a better tire and rim set up to work but otherwise you would have to change your disc brake set up to ensure you have enough room. I'm just going to switch to 15's and ditch the spacers and I will be fine. You need to run 13's on low profiles and you will be fine. :D

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Keep in mind there are only 1 or 2 kits that keep the factory offset. Most push the disc out about an inch or more. My wagon has that issue, but its manageable. In addition, I was dumb enough to put spacers on the back of the factory 14's thinking I could run the 14's without issue but it was an issue. You are more likely to find a better tire and rim set up to work but otherwise you would have to change your disc brake set up to ensure you have enough room. I'm just going to switch to 15's and ditch the spacers and I will be fine. You need to run 13's on low profiles and you will be fine. :D

Somebody has a low rider fetish ...!!!!!!.......come on out of the closet....!!!:back

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Been rolling in my "lowrider" since 93' (Picture is 1996 at National Impala convention when I was 18) Rolling on 14x7 reverse smoothies. Sold this car to some lady that just had to have it. It still haunts the Ottumwa Iowa area I'm told now and then. I bought my 64 Conv and had to make room for other projects so the Purple girl had to go. She was my first Lacquer paint job and purple was the #1 color sold in new cars for 1996 so I made this girl shine. I will remind anyone who laughs that I got a bunch of hot girls with this car. :cool::love

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Been rolling in my "lowrider" since 93' (Picture is 1996 at National Impala convention when I was 18) Rolling on 14x7 reverse smoothies. Sold this car to some lady that just had to have it. It still haunts the Ottumwa Iowa area I'm told now and then. I bought my 64 Conv and had to make room for other projects so the Purple girl had to go. She was my first Lacquer paint job and purple was the #1 color sold in new cars for 1996 so I made this girl shine. I will remind anyone who laughs that I got a bunch of hot girls with this car. :cool::love
Guess I never saw any 96 new cars in that color?:dunno You did not have ac ?:roll