Almost there.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
My goal is to have a real twelve second street car. I went to the strip last night and tried my darnest to make it happen. I ran the car with DOT drag radials, air cleaner and through the exhuast system. Air was cool enough for a sweat shirt. This was grudge night so no sticky was laid down on the track. The first pass was the best ET, I ran a 13.0 @ 103.9 with a 1.870 60'. After that the track got greesy due to the guys running street tires. Best 60' was a 1.866. Fastest speed was 104.09. I am pretty sure I would have run in the 12's through the headers by 0.300. So maybe a 12.7. Goal is a 12.80 through the exhaust and 12.5 headers. After the 2nd run I changed the metering rods resulting in a 2 step increase in jetting, this did not seem to have any effect. After the 3rd run I added 2 dgs timing. This picked up the speed a little. First run I was heads up with a 2004 Z vette, 400 hp stick car. (this is so cool) I hole shotted this guy with a 1.870 60' to his 2.113, my 1/8 mile time was 8.371 to his 8.445. I had this vette through all but the very last part of the srtip. He just nipped me at the line. All the poor guy saw was six tailights all the way down the strip, he must of been ****tng his britches! I ran a 13.0 @ 103.9 to his 12.814 @ 112. Best part about this is, I drove the car to the strip.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Way to go!:beerbang When you pull that car up to the line I'll bet a lot of people are really surprized to see how fast it is. Especially when you're running full exhaust. Having a car that looks that good and runs in the 12's is quite an acheivement.:cheers

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ray, Congrats on showing up the vette. That would have been fun to see. If I remember , you are using tri-y headers. I love those things. Great headers for dual purpose car, however I feel they fall short of 4 tube headers on the drag strip. In my opinion, you could find a full tenth with 4 tube headers. I know that would be quite expensive for 1 tenth, but once you have reached the point you are at, its hard to improve any. I know with your tuning ability that you have pulled all the hp out that is available. The 1.87 60 ft time says that you have the chassis working well. I hope you find that last tenth, it would be great to drive a 12.90 car to the drag strip, have some fun, then drive it home. Good luck,,,:)

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
back half?

Ray, what are you using for a rear end? Chevy, Ford, Gearing, 4-Link, Axles? I am always thinking I will break my Stock 63 posi/411 if I run slicks.

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Ray,Good Job on keeping up with the Vette :clap .I know why my accel from a stop seems a little slow,after I switched bushings in my distributor.I changed my rear end gears from 3.55 to 3.08 :doh .The 09 does idle better and I can shut off the 57 in park without the engine dieseling.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
models916 said:
Ray, what are you using for a rear end? Chevy, Ford, Gearing, 4-Link, Axles? I am always thinking I will break my Stock 63 posi/411 if I run slicks.

I'm running a 9" rear with a Detroit locker, 4.56 gear and 31 spline Mosier axles.
I have added an upper driver side link, all the links are boxed and have poly bushings.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Trip

Ray, how was the trip north?????????? Fill us in. Did you learn anything?

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
SS425HP said:
Ray, how was the trip north?????????? Fill us in. Did you learn anything?

Trip North was a GAS! Did I learn anything,,, Winston is very selective of who gets to scratch him behind the ears :nono1: , JimJim are the greatest, Sophie too :cheers Oh yeah, Winston looks like a beer keg with legs!