altered/ slingshot dragster

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I guess my biggest concern is buying a car that is legal for 10's. I'm just trying to get my feet wet, not start setting any records or anything, just having fun. Figuring out how much it will all cost and if I have enough cash in my pillow. I am now accepting donations- cars, engines, cash, etc.........

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Grub, the last run in that car was 1991 at the IHRA World Nationals, in Norwalk , Ohio. Qualified 13th in a 32 car field in Top Dragster. Was the only FED in the class, IHRA tech director told me he didn't want old front engine cars in his new T/D class. Car was sold in '93. Car ran 7.60's @. 175.
Brian, setting behind the engine, not completely able to see where your going, tire smoke flying by each side of you, is a thrill that would be hard to beat any other way. Nowadays there are 5 sec. FED's. Incredible!

Phil, no golf bags, dirt bags, or douche bags, driving these cars.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Is this what you looking for Brian? Looks very aerodynamic.....

Attachments

• IMG_20151010_124208391.jpg
    IMG_20151010_124208391.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 29

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I guess my biggest concern is buying a car that is legal for 10's. I'm just trying to get my feet wet, not start setting any records or anything, just having fun. Figuring out how much it will all cost and if I have enough cash in my pillow. I am now accepting donations- cars, engines, cash, etc.........

I can move you into a Safe, legal, 409 powered door car tomorrow! Of course, you won't be out in the wind like you would with an altered or slingshot but a rookie can drive it it goes so straight........ ask me how I know. I hadn't been down the track in car since the mid 60s when I bought it. First full pass was somewhere around 10.15 at 133 +/- mph

Cecil County 2013.jpg

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I don't think my pillow has enough stuffing for yours Dick, but I do appreciate the offer. My Impala at 11.80's is fun, but without a cage 11.50 is all I can go. I think I would like a bit more ( don't we all? )

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
For going fast,on a small budget,an altered is hard to beat. t hese things are so light that a 360 -370 horse small block will push a 1500 lb car into the high [around 10.70] tens.Not to mention,easy to work on.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
You just hit all the high points Don. That's what has attracted me to them. I can't afford another Impala, but might be able to swing one of these. I am going to wait until my blower motor is up and running before I pull the trigger on one though. Something about too many irons in the fire.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Now that would fit the bill. I just have to finish the motor before I go spending more dough.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9

That's cool Bryan!!

00M0M_6zi4gVDSoXZ_600x450.jpg

I have a Kinsler F.I. that would look really good in place of that four barrel! Complete with timing chain cover, cam drive fuel pump and a bunch of pills!

IMG_1200.jpg

IMG_0789.jpg

IMG_0788.jpg

IMG_0770.JPG

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Nice RED Caddy. :clap It would probably take, 1000 H.P. to get that into the 10's.:doh:dunno

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Brian - been there and know how you feel............waaaay back in the 90's I wanted to run mid 9's or
8'90's for Super Comp in a 218" rear engine dragster..........pretty soon was running quick 16 at 8.34 on an 8.33 dial in
with a 1.16 60 ft......absolutely loved it but kept wanting to go quicker ....:pray.... was looking for mid 7's with a blown big block on alcohol..........go for it but expect that what ever you set up won't be quick enough.....the fever is un-stopable.........have
driven a buddies blown big block in low 7's @ 185 mph and WOW!.....:cool:.......would love to do it all again.
I was lucky as my wife was my only crew sometimes, packin' the chute and towin' me back.......:love........tried to get her
to drive but 0 - 100 mph in 2 seconds sorta made her think twice.....:rub.......:slap2......we did go a couple rounds at an IHRA
National event in '92..........:D..........wow - those were the days.........

:cheers
bj