Alternator belt?

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have a 63 bel air 283 having trouble getting a alternator belt ordered and received a 15555 too long? Anyone have belt number please? My car has factory air Thank you

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
If there's an "old time"parts house around,take the old belt with you,and they can take a belt gauge and get exactly what you.Once you get it,keep that belt sleeve in the glove box for future referance.I don't know how many times that I've found the books wrong and had to get the gauge down.

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I would say at least an inche I was not looking forward to the painful trip to the parts store lol I used to have a belt measurement tool but can’t seem to find it so I’m guessing a 15540

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
If there's an "old time"parts around,take the old belt with you,and they can take a belt gauge and get exactly what you.Once you get it,keep that belt sleeve in the glove box for future referance.I don't know how many times that I've found the books wrong and had to get the gauge down.
I hear unfortunately in one of my clean ups they must have hit the trash ugh!

Junky

Well Known Member
I was looking up the belts for my car tonight, and found some good diagrams for multiple years and engines on www.gmpartswiki.com . I went to the end http://www.gmpartswiki.com/getpage?pageid=65369 , and if you keep clicking on the "Prev" link at the bottom left of the page, you will come up with your engine and accessory diagram. I took a stab at the correct one for your car the way you described it, and came up with part # 3764348 (56 1/2").

Kaycee

Well Known Member
Take a string and route it around your pulleys like your belt would run, mark it measure and go slap the kid at oreillys. Take it to the store and get one you can measure it before you buy. Make sure your alt. adjustment is about halfway when you measure

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have every length Gates Belts part numbers that could fit 61 to 64 Chevy's for factory air, generator, alternator and power steering. 327 and 409 Chevy's. Gates belts come in 1/2 inch lengths and .410 width. I have also used Goodyear belts similar to the number you listed.

I test fit them on my 327's and my 409's -- using Gates belts (through ORelliys ) and return the one's that don't fit. I even bought all the original style belts from Show Cars and tested them and returned them when they did not fit.

I found that part numbers (listed in books at part dealers) don't work good most of time, to get the proper tight belt and clear power steering pumps, steering boxes etc. Some of it has to do with having different pulleys and mounting brackets that change the belt length needed.

• I first tested the length with a string/rope like Kaycee said or start with the length of a belt that does not fit and then buy the ones shorter or longer as needed to get the belt to tighten correctly without problems.
  • I use my list of Gates part numbers and some Goodyear part numbers with lengths to buy 2-3 belts that are close to what I need.
  • As noted above I pick the belt that fits best and return the other belts
  • I have some brand new belts leftover that I could not find my receipt(Gates # 7580 = 58 5/8 inch)
  • This belt buying system also works great if you have a non factory mount for alternators (like a Allen Grove mount) on my 409's
If I recall correctly I needed A/C belts close to 59 inches to work on my A/C cars,

I can look up the part numbers I have for lengths 58" to 61".

Paul

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thank you all for the info I’m going to do the string method I have an old time parts store down the street “great guy” I’m sure he’ll be able to help thanks again!!

Junky

Well Known Member
I used to use the string method, until an old time mechanic showed me a slightly different method. He used a length of clothes line, and said it worked better for him, since it fit the groove of the pulley tighter. Just an alternative thought to an old time tested method of measuring for belt lengths.