Aluminum exhaust manifold

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The only aluminum exhaust manifolds that I ever saw for a W was from the aftermarket.I think Bob Walla had some at one time but I don't know if he had them made.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
The only aluminum exhaust manifolds that I ever saw for a W was from the aftermarket.I think Bob Walla had some at one time but I don't know if he had them made.

I know I had read that a number of Pontiac super duties had come from the factory with aluminum manifolds but I had also read that there was a lot of melting them down so to speak ....... so the advantage to an aluminum exhaust manifold obviously was the light weight and I would think the other thought is that it would keep a lot of heat away from the engine compartment ......???

427John

Well Known Member
421 SD's with the aluminum manifolds were known to leave little drops of aluminum down the track,I don't think the track owners were happy about it.Pontiac also built some steel tubing headers that were nearly identical in layout but they may have been a test pattern for designing the iron and aluminum manifolds.

427John

Well Known Member
I wonder if jethot coating inside and out would help the aluminum manifolds.
I don't know about Jet Hot but I bet one of those thermal barrier coatings they use on piston tops would if they can figure out how to get it inside there.I don't know if I would coat the outside it might interfere with rejecting heat to ambient.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I think someone made repop Pontiac Ram Air in aluminum and there were issues with melting-but figure all the aluminum heads out there don't melt the exhaust ports off must be an alloy issue.

There was a guy racing a 61 bubble top Ventura in NMCA Top Stock when I was that used some of those tri ys in cast iron. Did not get the HP factoring hit of headers but they are darned near headers.

427John

Well Known Member
I think the fact that the heads have coolant circulating thru them keeps the temps from getting that high,not so on the exhaust manifolds.I hear what your saying about the cast iron headers,the Ford 427 long manifolds,Mopar max wedge manifolds, and the Pontiac 421 SD manifolds all had long primary separation and were about as close to headers as you could get.I think the most extreme example of this is the 427 mystery motor and 426 Hemi nascar 2 piece exhaust manifolds.

427John

Well Known Member
There's an old thread about them with pictures from 2011,they also talk about them being thermal barrier coated on the inside.