Aluminum intake manifold for 'small' 409 heads?

denson1932

Well Known Member
Putting a 409 with Low Per heads together probably going to sell or trade it, i have the stock 3830817 cast iron heads so it is a heavy brute don't need a cast intake to make it heavier.
First have a new offy 2X4 intake i think the number is 5610.... i would have to round up two carbs and progressive linkage and two air cleaners.....as you can see in the pix i had to drill and tap for the front water bypass....don't know why they didn't do that.
My next choice is this Chevy-Winters 1X4 3814678.... i bought it thinking i would cut the extra tabs off because some dufus already milled out the center divider and opened (rounded) the front cliffs...(why??) so didn't think i was being sacrilegious....but now that i see the date code under the bottom cover is 12-26-61... LOOK the day after Christmas and the foundry is back to work! (anyway probally for January 1962 build), i don't know if i got it in me to cut it...does anyone have a Chevy-Winters 409 Hi HP aluminum 1X4 intake that has already had the wings clipped i could purchase?
Oh yea i also insert a pix of line drawn where i would have to cut..

Attachments

• DSCF3927.JPG
    DSCF3927.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCF3929.JPG
    DSCF3929.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCF3930.JPG
    DSCF3930.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 64

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I think he took the single 4 out of my attic! I have one I got in the 70s I did that to but never ran it after removing the divider.
I think removing that divider and making it into a single plane intake would work well on the drag strip but not on the street.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Denson....I believe the intake you have is a special HP manifold that Chevy produced in 62 or 63. I don't believe someone ground it out. Please post the part number and we can know for sure.