Aluminum Rear Bumper Project

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Nice work Jim! Have you tried a spool gun? I use one on 1/8 inch. Can’t go much thinner though, too much amperage needed. And you need to move pretty fast. Welds sweet when you get it down though...

Last edited:

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Nice work Jim! Have you tried a spool gun? I use one on 1/8 inch. Can’t go much thinner though, too much amperage needed. And you need to move pretty fast. Welds sweet when you get it down though...
I do have a spool gun and used to use it assembling air cleaners before I got the tig. But I really enjoy tig welding, except for cutting and sharpening tungsten. If I was going to weld anything heavier than 1/8", with long runs, I would most likely use the spool gun.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Gave the bandsaw a good work out this past week, cutting all of the pieces for the bumper brackets. Thank goodness I picked this bandsaw up. Never could have cut all of these pieces without it. About all that is left of the second sheet of aluminum is in the bucket. 20201009_154630.jpg20201009_154531.jpg

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Well, since my welder quit Saturday morning I figured since I finally had a few extra minutes today, I would see how a.few.bumper pieces would fit together. So, I drilled a few holes and bolted them together. They still need alot of trimming, sanding and tweaking. But they fit fairly well. The passenget side end needs the most tweaking as its pointing up on the end, but still not much of problem. Until I get a replacement welder, I'll be working on bending and shaping lots of pieces. IMG_20201018_182917.jpgIMG_20201018_182926.jpgIMG_20201018_182935.jpgIMG_20201018_182955.jpgIMG_20201018_183110.jpgIMG_20201018_183433.jpg

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Well, since my welder quit Saturday morning I figured since I finally had a few extra minutes today, I would see how a.few.bumper pieces would fit together. So, I drilled a few holes and bolted them together. They still need alot of trimming, sanding and tweaking. But they fit fairly well. The passenget side end needs the most tweaking as its pointing up on the end, but still not much of problem. Until I get a replacement welder, I'll be working on bending and shaping lots of pieces. View attachment 87664View attachment 87665View attachment 87666View attachment 87667View attachment 87668View attachment 87669
Looks like you will be taking orders soon when those things start falling off the end of the assembly line, Lol They look awesome and truly show your talent, great job Jim!!!!!