Always drain and refill your plow hydraulics!

bobs409

Administrator
Didn't do it this year and now I'm paying the price. (not sure if I did it last year either) Did some of this today: :plow but after a while, nothing would move. Could hear the pump running but very little movement on any of the rams.

Took out the drain and fill plugs and a nice green slushy oozed out! Now I get to drain, flush and refill in 20 degree weather! Worst part is I have to remove unit and both angle rams and take them into my garage so I can warm them up enough to get all the ice/water out. :grumble

Oh well, learn from your mistakes. From now on, I'm draining and replacing the fluid every year. :irk

bobs409

Administrator
From what I read, moisture can & will build up in the system over time, that's why it should be changed yearly. There are no leaks on any of the seals.

I also found out mine is the older version without a drain plug so it has to be turned upside down to drain out the fill/vent valve. So I think I'll start just taking it off in the spring and that way it will be easier to service it. I used to just leave it on all year.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Never have heard of having to do that.Had a tractor with front end loader on farm way back when ,never drained it . Used it in winter also.

bobs409

Administrator
All done and sitting on my garage floor. I don't actually see any water in the old fluid. Maybe is was just at the surface when I first opened it. Tomorrow it all goes back on the Jeep and we'll see if it works.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I will add, my Massey tractor has enough water in the hydraulics from sitting outside, it drains down the shifter rod past the boot into the tranny/hydraulic's, to where in freezing temperatures the three point hitch freezes up.