American Autowire for RHD Belair

18htan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Gents,

I have had a search and bit of a read through some older threads... Lots of folk in both camps, one restore the old harness and the other go new.

Now I don't have a harness to restore, so looks like I end up in the new camp by default.

So who has used American Autowire?

What was the user experience like on the install?

I am assuming that my Belair being factory right hook will throw a spanner in the works...

Can anybody shed any light?

18htan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Reply from American Autowire

Mark @ American Autowire said:
We do make vehicle-specific restomod kit for your car, (our Classic Update kit) but it is designed for a left hand drive vehicle only.

With that said, our Highway 22 can easily work with a steering column on either side of the vehicle. The Highway kits are modular, so you run the wire leads from the component you're setting up, back to the face of the panel. This allows you not only to run just the wires required for your specific vehicle, but choose your mounting location.

http://www.americanautowire.com/shop/highway-22-panel-wiring-kit

The tradeoff with this kit (as with any custom harness) would be that it does not include original vehicle-specific lamp sockets or connectors. If you are not looking to keep the car factory stock, this may not be a concern, but I always like to be sure our customers are fully aware of what will be included with a harness before the begin an installation.

The 22 circuit panel also has quite a bit more growing room than an original-replacement harness. You can view the listing for the kit on our site at the link below, and the instructions here if you'd like to get a feel for how the harness installs.

Hopefully that helps out!

What issues would arise if the harness was installed on the right side?

Or would it be fine to install it on the left and run the dash harness across?

Last edited:

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I used American Auto Wire on my 61 Bel Air and also my recent build 60 Pontiac Ventura. Quality and fit is excellent. In order to answer your question about the right hand drive some pictures of your firewall were the bulkhead fitting (fuse panel) dash and steering column would be in order to make a decision as to whether a stock harness mounted on the right would work.
The problem with mounting the dash harness on the left is the harness would simply not be long enough.

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
Where is the fuse panel located from the factory on a RHD car? Is it mounted on the left or right side?

You could mount it in the trunk if that's what you wanted. You'd just need to lengthen/shorten the various wire leads accordingly. The fuse panel doesn't care where it's located so long as it doesn't get wet or is exposed to excessive heat.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If everything is reversed, could you not just turn it upside down? That would put the wires that reach out to the right on the left drive car (like ignition, radio, heater) in the middle of the car. Assuming the fuse block is now on the right in your car?

We have several people with RHD Chevies, maybe they will show up here?

American Autowire make great stuff. Donny is the guy to talk to on X frame cars.

Don

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Would like to see detailed pictures of the dash inside and out.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
AA is a sponsor in ChevyTalk, you can contact Donny there with your questions, they have a contact area near the top of the forums. They likely make one for a 61 Pontiac and you could ask him what might work.

Don

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
AA is a sponsor in ChevyTalk, you can contact Donny there with your questions, they have a contact area near the top of the forums. They likely make one for a 61 Pontiac and you could ask him what might work.

Don
The 61 Pontiac did not use a bulkhead fitting. The dash harness and engine harness are one. That could be the case with the RHD cars. We need to see pics of his firewall.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The 61 Pontiac did not use a bulkhead fitting. The dash harness and engine harness are one. That could be the case with the RHD cars. We need to see pics of his firewall.
The RHD stuff was built in Canada and used a Canadian Pontiac 61 dash so likely the wire harness was the same as a 61 Chevy in the US and Canada. They used that same 61 Pontiac dash on RHD up to 64 or so if I remember correctly Dan.

Don

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The RHD stuff was built in Canada and used a Canadian Pontiac 61 dash so likely the wire harness was the same as a 61 Chevy in the US and Canada. They used that same 61 Pontiac dash on RHD up to 64 or so if I remember correctly Dan.

Don
Don,
That is why we need to see his firewall so we can determine which harness was used. If GM Canada used the Chevrolet bulkhead the hole through the firewall will be square like the first pic and if they used the Pontiac harness then the hole through the firewall will be round like the second pic.

20160618_080730.jpg 20160228_122545.jpg

18htan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks for the input gents.

I dropped the Belair into the panel beater and forgot to grab a pic of the firewall... Of course.

Let me see what I can find.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Square hole I believe.
The harness will work but you will have to lengthen anything to do with lights or direction indicator wires as they will be too short. Not hard to do. I did it using an EZwire harness.

Steve

18htan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Don,
That is why we need to see his firewall so we can determine which harness was used. If GM Canada used the Chevrolet bulkhead the hole through the firewall will be square like the first pic and if they used the Pontiac harness then the hole through the firewall will be round like the second pic.

Nothing like a year between replies, which is about standard for anything on my Chev.

Here is the Firewall, does this give any clues?

IMG00391-20101001-1734.jpg

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
It will be a GM Canada harness and im not sure you can get them as a replacement part or aftermarket
The generic replacement unit from american autowire or eziwire or others will work but you will have to sort the connections through the fire wall
In lynettes 60 impala i just used a eziwire unit and it fit good due to it being LHD
On my 56 and my 37 ford (as well as a couple of others that i have done) they were all RHD and i made alterations to make it fit (lengthen wires etc)
the biggest issue you will have is your firewall plug and connector (have you still got them?)
Can get the pins etc to put in them, it all cab ne done just takes a bit of time and patience (i see you have both , doing a boat etc)

Steve

18htan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My firewall got a bit beaten up when it was blasted, so thinking about smoothing it off. That way I get rid of all the holes I don't need and can create the ones I do.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
There are a lot of wire harnesses (generic units) that dont have firewall plugs etc
So if you are going to smooth or customize the firewall a bit you could just use a grommet and use a generic harness
If i remember correctly when i did this the only issue were the signal wires as they were to short on one side and way to long on the other
This is easily fixed though

Steve

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
[QUOTE="LMBRJQ 60, post: 365710, member:
If i remember correctly when i did this the only issue were the signal wires as they were to short on one side and way to long on the other

Steve[/QUOTE]
Side cuts and electrical tape?????

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
[QUOTE="LMBRJQ 60, post: 365710, member:

Steve
Side cuts and electrical tape?????[/QUOTE]

Yes Phil, that is what is called for
The only issue is all of these kits are color coded or word printed on the wires so it would say LF signal but it would go to the RF signal
I didnt like that so i got another kit and lengthened with the correct wires

Steve