American Hot Rod Reunion

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Tom, I see where the side and spider gears (which aren't in use anymore) would be damaged where the weld broke, but from what shows in the picture the ring and pinion look okay. If so....you could weld it back up and go again with it....or use the 4.56 gears in another case. :dunno

Man that '61 looks good.....there is another black SS clone in the middle GA area here that I see at local shows. Your '62 looks cool sitting on the trailer out by the beans. It has that "I mean business!" look to it. Bottom 12's @ 107 are pretty good.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
We are fortunate to know someone who is willing to give up a 1957 Pontiac rear end, another who has a jig setup for the X frame, and James wants to take it from there. He is thinking Moser for the axles. That will be the end of the "weld it up" era :) :) :).
IMG_4257.JPG

IMG_4256.JPG

Ouch!!!

TomK

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Tom, I see where the side and spider gears (which aren't in use anymore) would be damaged where the weld broke, but from what shows in the picture the ring and pinion look okay. If so....you could weld it back up and go again with it....or use the 4.56 gears in another case. :dunno

Man that '61 looks good.....there is another black SS clone in the middle GA area here that I see at local shows. Your '62 looks cool sitting on the trailer out by the beans. It has that "I mean business!" look to it. Bottom 12's @ 107 are pretty good.
Kinda looks like it's fertilizing the bean field to me.
And how close and how cheep for the third member I have to be in Georgia in two weeks.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Kinda looks like it's fertilizing the bean field to me.
And how close and how cheep for the third member I have to be in Georgia in two weeks.
I don't have a 3rd member for sale.....I was just asking if the ring and pinion were damaged on the one that broke? Looks like nothing broke except the lead and the spider and side gears. If that's the case couldn't you just weld it back up again?

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I will take it apart and inspect closer.
I do have a set of side and pinion gears to fix it.
The idea of using lead was that if stuff came apart it would not junk out the ring and pinion.
Time will tell if that theory worked.