American Legion

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
If I recall correctly Jim Sullivan is interested in this kind of stuff. The following is a letter my Grandfather wrote concerning starting a couple of American Legion posts in this area. Mt Auburn is a little town of 150 where I grew up and Vinton is the County Seat about 10 miles away, about 5,500 people today. These American Legions are going by the wayside any more due to the changing of the guard and younger folks not being interested. The one in Mt Auburn just shut down last year and Vinton is fading. Grandpa was in France and Italy in WW1. He was in the Ambulance Corps and then the Qurartermaster Department. I have his diary of which he wrote something in almost every day. I have some helmets and rifles he sent back and the dairy give the exact day he sent them.

Cool stuff.

Sorry...have to fight to get PDF file to load....

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It's sad, but the passage of time has a tendency to erase most of the past. The following generations become absorbed in their current events or often see things differently based on current politics. I get a lot of blank stares from people these days about Vietnam, God help me if I speak of Korea or WWII, they just don't know. So I am not surprised that they have no knowledge or interest in WWI. I have a small collection of bayonets from WW1, WWII, and one from the Franco Prussian war. Try asking about that one:D

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Adobe Acrobat Reader is a PDF converter/reader? There should be free versions available. What are you trying to convert?

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Oops...want to be able to convert PDF files to excel or something that I can attach here.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I only have the free version of Adobe, however you are supposed to be able to convert a PDF to Excel if you have the program. Here is something you can try though. I have not used it, so I cannot really say, just something I read. Supposed to be free, but you know how that goes. You may find the information on some liberal site changed to mean something it doesn't :dunno

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I dont think you can convert out of pdf without paying unless maybe you scan it and hope it loses it pdf tag.

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Iowa it's probably the small population. I belong to the AL, VFW and AMVETS all are thriving with desert storm and Afghanistan-Iraq war OEF-OIF veterans taking interest and leadership roles within the different post in the Tampa Bay area. :drinking

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
If I recall correctly Jim Sullivan is interested in this kind of stuff. The following is a letter my Grandfather wrote concerning starting a couple of American Legion posts in this area. Mt Auburn is a little town of 150 where I grew up and Vinton is the County Seat about 10 miles away, about 5,500 people today. These American Legions are going by the wayside any more due to the changing of the guard and younger folks not being interested. The one in Mt Auburn just shut down last year and Vinton is fading. Grandpa was in France and Italy in WW1. He was in the Ambulance Corps and then the Qurartermaster Department. I have his diary of which he wrote something in almost every day. I have some helmets and rifles he sent back and the dairy give the exact day he sent them.

Cool stuff.

Sorry...have to fight to get PDF file to load....
I think it may be Dennis Jackson you are thinking of?

We use OpenOffice which is free. I'm not sure if it will do exactly what you need.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Iowa it's probably the small population. I belong to the AL, VFW and AMVETS all are thriving with desert storm and Afghanistan-Iraq war OEF-OIF veterans taking interest and leadership roles within the different post in the Tampa Bay area. :drinking
Could be. Also more people retire to Florida than Iowa.

Last edited:

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Probably can't read??

If I could possibly email the pdf files to someone, would they mind converting or posting for me.

Thanks
Dave