Another 400 sbc

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Always want one. Now its time to build. 40 over, votec heads, my port job, small cam 224 ish .475 lift. 10 CR performer type intake and a qjet.
going in my 81 malibu wagon.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I can tell you that with no porting,just opening up the spring pockets for the necessary springs,a 9.13 cr[K-B hyper 30cc reversed dome pistons] a Lunati flat tappet at 245@.050..515 lift,a Performer RPM intake and a 750 Holley will put a 3200 lb. car in the 7.30's at 92 mph in the 1/8th.If you do port those heads,be certain to follow the factory outlines.Just hogging them out will slow you down.A Comp Extreme Energy 268 [224in-230ex.] will fit the bill nicely here.

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
If you do port those heads,be certain to follow the factory outlines.Just hogging them out will slow you down.A Comp Extreme Energy 268 [224in-230ex.] will fit the bill nicely here.
that is my understanding too. 1.94 / 1.5 stay. I'll be fallowing David Visard for the porting. Bowl work, back cut int valve and radious edge of exhaust.
cam is 270/278 224/230 .471/.486 elgen
pistons will be Some I have to modify to get CR down. federal hyperutectic on 5.7 h beams.
I have almost no money in the parts so far. Trade and swap and sale what I didn't need or want.
I spent 500 on machining so far. Need to get intake, valve covers, tubes and guide plates and rings.
I do have some 186 2.02 I need to sale.:rub Also a complete (i think) TPI setup with ecms and gaskets and harness and...

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Be sure to watch the cam to rod clearance[about .060] when using anything except the stock 400 small block rod.Your aftermarket h beams may already be stroker clearaced,but may still need work.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I have a 400 small block I got started on back in 1987, I just need to get a crank for it have and have it balanced.
Had the splayed 4 bolt caps installed, installed deck plugs. Has 11.0 to 1 TRW slugs.
Not real sure what it will go in. Maybe a engine to play with in the dragster. :think

425/409ER

Well Known Member
400's are great engines. I have a 12.5 to 1 that ran in the 10's in the late 90's. Now I have a flat top forged piston engine that has a 292H cam in it. I am seriously thinking of using a set of 062 Vortecs I have sitting around here. If you do the things that David Vizzard ans Mondello did with the Vortecs you will have one fast 400. I have seen people running mid 11's with bone stock Vortecs on 400's in the past, so they do work.

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
well I have one vortec head done. didn't quite turn out like I had hoped. intake flow at .2 .3 .4 valve lift went up a bit. The exhaust is up about 7 percent. only went to .5 lift as my cam is 270/278 224/230 .471/.486 Problem is my as found numbers are low compared to the "internet" numbers. Still should be a ground pounder.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
well I have one vortec head done. didn't quite turn out like I had hoped. intake flow at .2 .3 .4 valve lift went up a bit. The exhaust is up about 7 percent. only went to .5 lift as my cam is 270/278 224/230 .471/.486 Problem is my as found numbers are low compared to the "internet" numbers. Still should be a ground pounder.

If you are looking to get more flow above .500 lift on the intake side I found you will need to weld some areas around the intake side of the chamber. David did it in a test wit clay and the flow numbers went up quite a bit after that.