Another 409 Cross Ram on Ebay for $2000

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Kevin wrote:

"I started off with solid mounts from motor state. I milled the 3 holes for the block up to let it move as much as it could down there. Then I made slugs for the holes for the frame mount. I welded one hole shut and used a transfer punch going threw the frame mount, drilled that hole, welded the other hole shut and transfer punched from the whole I just drilled. I held the motor up of the cross member with wooden wedges a heavy 1/8" . A LOT of screwing around but I need all the hood clearance I can get ! And I'm sure there is probably an easier way but where is the fun in easy ?? lol "

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
OK, so (somebody) dials up Freiburger and Engine Masters and provides a healthy stroker, plus an 881, a factory 1x4, an Eddy,an Aubrey and the McQuillen and a pile of carbs. Those guys like to change intakes anyway. Wouldn't that be an interesting episode?

Just wishful thinking on my part.

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
OK, so (somebody) dials up Freiburger and Engine Masters and provides a healthy stroker, plus an 881, a factory 1x4, an Eddy,an Aubrey and the McQuillen and a pile of carbs. Those guys like to change intakes anyway. Wouldn't that be an interesting episode?

PVS could do it. He has the engine. A local shop with a good dyno, and some of the intakes. Other forum members could come up with the rest.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Don't matter what it flows. What a combo runs on the 1/4 is all that matters IMO. I think one of the biggest problems is people that have no idea how to tune or make an engine run express their own opinion as gospel. The other major issue is lack of suspension knowledge, not always will the car with most HP win.
The truth! CFM is good but not as important as air speed and turbulence. The entire car makes the E.T. Not the engine!

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4

Some where here on the site Carl mcquiilen has a chart with I believe an 881 an eddy and his own....... I’ll look to see if I can find it......hope I haven’t miss spoke......!!!

I miss spoke the test that was done was between a mild 690 head motor with the factory intake versus the McQuillen.......Sorry.......But even on a mild 409 build.....The McQuillan made gains of 30 hp........With no loss of torque on the bottom end........On a high performance build Rob said it was good for 70 hp more

Last edited:

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
On my stroker 409 750 carbs were not s good as the 600s on the dyno. And yes a dyno is not the track but doing apples to apples swap of intakes at the track is tough-as even the same combo often runs different due to a weather change. For us Pontiac guys with a valley pan you cut off the water crossover and can do intake swaps a little easier.

Carl's intake has such short runners compared to a dual plane I would think it would loose some on the bottom end on a mild motor, but never dynoed one. My RAIV 400 we dynoed 3 different intakes al within 1HP! But one single plane killed bottome end at the track so bad I could not tune it back-did make an additioanl 1 -2 mph. My 455 used two different single planes one slightly shorter runners and smaller plenum made the same HP and TQ (3 different rocker ratios, 2 distributors, 2 carbs) so sometimes it might just be theory!

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
On my stroker 409 750 carbs were not s good as the 600s on the dyno. And yes a dyno is not the track but doing apples to apples swap of intakes at the track is tough-as even the same combo often runs different due to a weather change. For us Pontiac guys with a valley pan you cut off the water crossover and can do intake swaps a little easier.

Carl's intake has such short runners compared to a dual plane I would think it would loose some on the bottom end on a mild motor, but never dynoed one. My RAIV 400 we dynoed 3 different intakes al within 1HP! But one single plane killed bottome end at the track so bad I could not tune it back-did make an additioanl 1 -2 mph. My 455 used two different single planes one slightly shorter runners and smaller plenum made the same HP and TQ (3 different rocker ratios, 2 distributors, 2 carbs) so sometimes it might just be theory!

Skip

Your experience just goes to show that the difference between setups makes a world of difference. On my street build engine I am currently running the 750's and they made big gain from 500's. Might be apples to pears comparison???

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Steve was sure to hit me up about the single bid. I congratulated him on finding someone. The cool part is, these intakes keep coming up over and over for the same reason. Everyone thinks they are cool until they actually use them on the street over and over. Its like when someone puts a 5000 stall torque converter in their car or install a camshaft where the power comes on at 5000rpm, its really not a street part. So everyone runs it for a couple years and gives up on it. Then it sets for another 10 years and finally sold again. I call it the Vintage Performance parts cycle. I'm always surprised to see so many of these intakes on street cars.

This is off the site ....... was street/ strip relagated to full street with the MT CrossRam......beautiful 409 and hot rod.....!!!!!......that is 409 envy...!!!!6F445526-2E85-4A45-BB48-1C53A4B10B2C.jpeg6FA304E5-7A35-4780-9BA9-D89712003FBE.jpeg7C4746FC-4075-46BB-B33D-709CF3830BA4.jpeg262DE7D2-A3EB-4A02-A2CC-77C5BAE351CA.jpegDCFA8FE7-E733-4BEB-A1A4-62533E8D971F.jpeg

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I thought that was Jim's '57!!! I guess I forgot it had the cross ram. Really nice guy, super nice car. Jim and his wife used to attend our gatherings early on (2005ish) but I haven't seen him for a long long time :( .

this photo I think was Thompson 2009? I always enjoyed seeing that car. But like the rest of you I have no knowledge of Jim in recent years. Maybe our Michigan guys know?
Ok Tom you and Barry never forget anything you guys remember what Jim told us the block was originally out of?
Robert
1590762865739.jpeg

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Oh hell......just let Paul do it!!!!!!!!!

Phil and Dakota Tom are correct.
I do have everything including an extra 454 stroker crank, (from Tom K via Dan Ishiftem), with my 1962 dated 409 standard bore 068 truck block (from Tom K) and 690 heads from Tom K (or maybe from Phil :dunno2 ---not sure who I got the 690s from...), Have a mint 409 pan, Edelbrock aluminum water pump, new plug wires, etc
I just bought some 409 stamped stand alone wire holders since the MT will not work with 409 valve covers with original 4 wire looms on them

For intakes I have
  • the M/T cross ram intake off course - (with 750 CFM brand new Edelbrocks),
  • a 881 dual four intake (2 of them),
  • a original single 4 -409 intake ( 3 of them),
  • a 3345 -380 HP 409 single carb(rebuilt)
  • and a pair of rebuilt 3361/3362 carbs for the 881
I do need to select a camshaft, buy rods and pistons and timing chain and make sure the 750 CFM carbs are not too much for a 482 cubic inch stroker on the M/T cross ram manifold.

My 482 cubic inch stroker motor in my 62 SS Hardtop has 500 CFM Edelbrock carbs with a 409 thumper cam and was 500 HP on the engine dyno at Harry Heads in Sioux City. They charge $ 500 for a run on the dyno and they have built my last 3 -409 motors (2 of them were stroker motors)

I do have to get by a certain female at my house -who asked me what my mocked up motor(in my pictures above) with the M/T cross ram was for (not for another car.......right? she said
I said I like to look at my M/T crossram on a 409 engine not on the shelf :D :juggle
Paul

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
That would take at least 3 hours I would guess. I'm in for helping. :)
Paul I picket 450s for Tom's engine, but it is just a 409 bored out. My though was carburetor size for half the engine.

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Paul, I thought you might be pulling your current engine out to dyno/tune it with the crossram.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The current engine has been removed and replaced once for improper push rods on Edelbrock heads (broke a timing chain) -former engine builder used the wrong push rods on the engineer
I would rather perhaps just build another engine OR maybe add the M/T intake to the current engine -but no dyno.

Robert Jacobson

I looked for seven years before I finally found one. I got a line on a guy that might have one at the swap meet at the Michigan State Fairgrounds held every year. After talking with him, meeting arrangements were made. I paid $1,800 for it and was glad to do so. He had two. This one was new in the box. Took it directly to my polishing guy. It now resides on my 480 cubic inch W engine in my 55 Chevy with two Holley 750 dbl pumpers. The original intake and carbs are wrapped in plastic on a shelf in my garage. The crossram runs great. I never get tired of the dropped jaws when opening the hood. The guy I bought it from had two sets of Z11 heads, one Z11 intake, and several sets of 690 heads. He was building a Z11 clone.