Another 65 Chevy Fire truck with a 409

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I don't see a gas fill cap by the door handle. Must not have a tank behind the seat.

Ron, Its there. If you look very close at the second pic you can see the black rubber gasket. The cap is painted red to match the truck.

I would love to have that truck. If it weren't so far away I might be tempted....:deal

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Ron, Its there. If you look very close at the second pic you can see the black rubber gasket. The cap is painted red to match the truck.

You are correct. I think my eyes are failing..........too many birthdays.:roll

bobs409

Administrator
What would one do with such a vehicle? Could keep it for shows I guess or would be great to wash the driveway down with I guess. :D

I had enough trouble talking myself into buying a wrecker let alone a fire engine! :D

62BillT

Well Known Member
Fire Engines are big collector's items. They actually have Fire Truck conventions and many run their pumps from a nearby pond all at the same time to put on a pretty good show. Some are also in use for other purposes when not at shows and parades. Irrigation purposes would be an example. It also would be handy for a fire too, especially if someone lives in a dry or a fire prone area.

Then others will take the fire bed off and have a nice looking, low mileage truck for a Flat Bed, Rollback, Dump, etc. I would rather see them stay as fire trucks, but would also rather see them converted instead of just sitting outside fading away.

Bill

62BillT

Well Known Member
Great idea Bill.

Yeah, I guess that did sound kind of funny.

On the serious side tho, I know a junk yard that is at the base of a mountain way out near no where. He keeps a fire truck there in order and ready to go as not only is the fire dept volunteer, it's not real close by. His house and his son's house is also next door.

I'm less than a quarter mile from a saw mill. Back in '93, it caught fire. Coincidently, I was working close by. If I had a truck at my place, I could have got there way before the volunteers did. ....might have saved it.

Bill

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I could have used it Sunday night. My pager went off at 9:30, neighbors shop on fire. It was 1 mile away, fire hall 3 miles, so I went directly to the scene and waited for the truck and crew. Several minutes seems like forever when you need water.