ANOTHER AMERICAN ICON VANISHING

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I MOVED TO CONNECTICT in 1996. One of the first things I did was drive to all the gun manufactures that were local in CT. They included Winchester, Colt, Marlin, Springfield Armory and others. One of my favorites was the Remington UMC manufacturing plant in Bridgeport, CT. Although it was shut down, it remained a majestic site. Today, I went to work at Bridgeport Hospital, that is literally "down the street". I was amazed the level of demolition and waste that has happened over the years. A lot has been written in the past few years about UMC, but was still surprised to see it live. Why not housing, national historic site, etc. Chalk this up to Connecticut greed.
Block after block of debris and rubble. You would not want to be there to "tour" without..... shall we say.......a certain support!

At one time, the Shot Tower was the tallest structure in CT. Remington UMC was one of the largest small arms manufacturer in the U.S., esp. during WW1

20180327_095940.jpg20180327_122036.jpg20180327_100010.jpg20180327_121955.jpg20180327_122128.jpg

Last edited:

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Certainly sad to see those once very functioning buildings so deteriorated. I also heard about Remington filing for bankruptcy protection. That's also sad. I always liked their guns. Have owned a few over the years, Carmine.

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
What a shame !!!! Sadly we don't have to look too far any more to find this situation ! :sorry2

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Cerberus, the holding company of Remington could be the problem. I have a friend that was in sales there an told me that they would be going down. Do you suppose this happened according to plans?

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Cerberus, the holding company of Remington could be the problem. I have a friend that was in sales there an told me that they would be going down. Do you suppose this happened according to plans?

I hope not. I just hate to see an old US company go bankrupt. I'm still troubled by the demise of Sears. Sometimes, I'm too nostalgic for my own good, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Yeah Jeff, I remember those stores well. Miss them among other things from the 50's to early 60's. In some ways, it just seem liked a better time. At least for me it was. Better family structure. Network. Spent quality time together, in person, not via the social media's of today. Something got loss and I don't think it will ever be found. Can't live in the past, but sure do have some fond memories, Carmine.

Believe it or not Bob, we still have 2 active drive in movie theaters near me. Do go on occasion. Fortunate in the area I guess.

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There is one drive in left in the area that I know of, it's 40 miles west of me and I have not gone there but it would be fun to take the 63 and watch a show like the good old days.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
We had a Drive-In, (MOHAWK) right across, from our street. :applA Great weekend getaway, with the kids, when they were young.:clap Then video store's, started popping up. Attendance declined, and they went Belly-up, in 1989.:confused:cry1 It's now, a KOHL'S PLAZA.:bang

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The last Drive In I think we went to was in early 83, which is when I met my wife so I am not going into any details :pop:drinking2:crazy:crazy:crazy:crazy:D I think there is still one in Sacramento about 30 miles away. There was one about the same area also, however the riff raff and gangs got so bad you really didn't want to go anyway.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
When I was in high school ,Drive-ins were a great place to go,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,to get laid!
I remember the drive-ins being called "passion pits". I also remember $5.00 a carload night. As many as you could get in a car, all went in for $5.00. I recall having my friends hanging and riding in, all over the car, just to get in for that price. Had my '63 Impala convertible. I think we had about 15 of us one night going in for that price. The cashier had a meltdown. Didn't make any money on us for tickets, but certainly made up with the popcorn and soda. Their policy changed after that. Had to be in the passenger compartment only. No more trunks or riding on the fenders/hood. Sore losers, Carmine.

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Certainly sad to see those once very functioning buildings so deteriorated. I also heard about Remington filing for bankruptcy protection. That's also sad. I always liked their guns. Have owned a few over the years, Carmine.
:yup............very sad indeed.......believe Remington was founded in 1816......:read

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
It's just a shame. A great company like Remington, who make a fine product, very reliable and affordable, going belly up. I know I'm beating this to death, but Sears, I still can't get a handle on how a pissy little single store in Little Rock, Arkansas, got the upper hand. Now Sears is on the verge of bankruptcy. Totally remarkable. More disgusted then anything. I remember Montgomery Wards. They're history and have been. JC Penney is getting closer everyday. Pretty soon all we'll have are Walmarts and more Walmarts. Junk and more junk. Just a bad dream, Carmine.

bobs409

Administrator
I can't share your love for Sears. To me it was mostly over priced. In it's day I'm sure it was great but say the last 20-30 years, it was high prices and mostly stuff from China anyway. Can't tell you how many times I had to return their shitty ratchets too! JMO.