Another fleet order body drop picture.

blkss64

Well Known Member
Look closely. It has a CD or Civil Defense logo on the upper side panel. Remember those? I remember Fallout Shelters, practicing hiding under my school desk and the weekly air raid sirens going off every Wednesday at noon. The sirens were tested for 30 seconds. Oh that brings back memories.

427John

Well Known Member
And its a Napco to boot,too cool.Did you ever see any of those sirens?When I first moved to Spokane after getting out of the Navy in 88 they still had them scattered around town,they were mounted on a skid on top of a big pole like 30 or 40 feet up driven by a V-8 engine(a chrysler poly 318 I believe).

Bob Core

Well Known Member
And its a Napco to boot,too cool.Did you ever see any of those sirens?When I first moved to Spokane after getting out of the Navy in 88 they still had them scattered around town,they were mounted on a skid on top of a big pole like 30 or 40 feet up driven by a V-8 engine(a chrysler poly 318 I believe).

I always assumed that Napco converted vehicles after production, kind of like the way Shelby modified Mustangs for Ford. From this pic, I gather that they modified chassis, which were slipped into the line when needed. Another layer of mystery!

Is anyone here familiar with the factory's arrangement with Napco, and how production was coordinated with them?

427John

Well Known Member
They did until 55 and then in 56 or 57 chevy took delivery of the kits at the assembly plant and installed them on the line.That lasted until 59 and then chevy came out with their new chassis in 60 and that was the end of the Napco's.Napco typically didn't do the conversion they shipped the kit out in a 1400 pound crate to the individual who bought the truck who could arrange to have his local dealer or a capable local repair shop install it or do it himself if he had the know how and tools.Supposedly it only took 3 or 4 hours to install and only required drilling 4 holes in the frame for the Tcase supports everything else bolted on in place of stock parts.They even recommended keeping the take off parts and returning the truck to original at trade in time so you could use it on your next chevy truck.Pre 55 were 3/4 ton only due to 1/2 ton being torque tube drive.They also made kits for Ford and Studebaker trucks but those were never done at the assembly plant.

427John

Well Known Member
We had a 60 or 61 4WD short box when I was a kid, rode like a tractor, but with a set of woods chains, would go through snow like you wouldn't believe.
My 64 is a long box and actually rides pretty good for an early 4WD especially with the stack of springs they used but I can see where a short box would be a rough ride.Chevy got it right the first time when they went went with the rear shackle front leaf spring,ford used a front shackle front leaf on 3/4 tons and thats why their ride is so harsh they didn't go with a rear shackle till the SD came out in 99,thats why the SD front spring swap is so popular on earlier trucks.Don does your Parisienne SC use the Grand Prix roof and wheelbase?Or is it more like an Catalina.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My 64 is a long box and actually rides pretty good for an early 4WD especially with the stack of springs they used but I can see where a short box would be a rough ride.Chevy got it right the first time when they went went with the rear shackle front leaf spring,ford used a front shackle front leaf on 3/4 tons and thats why their ride is so harsh they didn't go with a rear shackle till the SD came out in 99,thats why the SD front spring swap is so popular on earlier trucks.Don does your Parisienne SC use the Grand Prix roof and wheelbase?Or is it more like an Catalina.

Same roof as a Chevy, 62-64. Same frame as a Chevy x frame too, so same wheelbase and all mechanicals, including drivetrains. Only difference was up to 62, as a six they had a 261, not a 235, then went to the 230 and 250. I'd like t0 know if any Cdn Pontiac body parts are interchangeable with any US Pontiacs.

427John

Well Known Member
Were the different wheel styles dependent on whether it was a C60,C70,or C80 or was it something you could order 1 way or the other?

Simps37

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My uncle still has one of these 68-70 style C-60 trucks that he uses out in west Texas....has a pole winch bed on it and runs great.....not as shiny blue as it once was but is a beast when something needs to be pulled or placed with the winch !

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
What year??? What are the engines on the left?? Can't be big block???? All their bellhousings are painted orange while all the small blocks on the left have unpainted bellhousings.

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
All the engines appear to have point type distributors and a coil mounted on the intake. HEI's come out in 75. Looks like small blocks on the left and big blocks on the right. Your military right, Phil.