Another newbie to the forum, past 409 owner

Tom Miller

Well Known Member
Hi guys, my name is Tom Miller.
Been out of the Chevy game for a long time, been through several Buick GS's, GTO's,442'S,etc.
Time to come back home.
When I turned 15, my Dad bought me a Black on Black 63 Impala ss 409 4 speed car minus engine. We did a refurb on the car together, and installed a 396 that we ran across cheap.
I ran it that way through High School, then shortly after got hooked up with a guy that had a complete 425hp 409 core engine, and put that in the car.
Had the car from 1985-1999, at which time a marriage separation caused the sale of the car.
I've tried locating it to no avail, can't seem to find my vin# anywhere to track it, so I've decided to start looking for a replacement 63, but this time considering a Biscayne,Belair, or Impala.
Great website here, seems to be a lot of knowledge on here about these cars/engines.

Tom Miller

Well Known Member
I sold my car to a guy here in Michigan, he moved to Tennessee andd took the car down there. He ran into a guy at a good guys show that had a prostreet Nova, and they traded cars.
Last known whereabouts was Tennessee/Kentucky area.
Only Identiafiable features at the time, car had 15×7 rallys in front, 15x8 vette rallys in rear, no trim rings and 67style disc brakes centers.
Only other thing was I had to do rust repair on the front of my hood, and the Chevy badge/medallion was not present. We didn't drill the holes to bolt it back on.
These are all easily changeable and over 19 years, who knows?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Welcome Tom to the site.

This 63 SS 409 car is the wrong color, but the story you noted is very similar and strikingly the same on the trading cars in Tennessee as I recall.
I knew the guy who owned this 63 SS 409 and he traded for the car as I recall, for his frame off 55 Chevy(it could have been a Nova) somewhat modified(disc brakes different motor, restored non original interior). I am almost certain that the trade was from a owner from Tennessee.

He owner who traded for the 63 SS 409 was a friend of mine although we never met in person.

The guy who "had the 63 SS 409 car --frame off restored" and said it was a original 409 car to my friend who traded for his restored

100_4860_edited.jpgCarolCarPic.jpg
modified 55 Chevy. The 409 original verification information was in question when he traded for the car. I have a list on what the car won at shows and facts I wrote for him from information that he provided me on when he sold the car. He had a wood working business.

The Shades of the past award picture was at Pigeon Forge Tennessee after the trade was made. The date on the first picture was 2007.

The owner of the 63 (Donny Hammond) who traded for it died a few years ago and was a member here.
The 63 SS was sold before he passed away and the car was sold in March of 2015. I know the approx price it sold for.
I have more pictures,e-mail addresses, and the former address on the 63 SS when he owned the car. I advertised the car for sale on this site for him.

Paul

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Hey Tom, welcome!!! You just landed in a safe zone man, if you have any questions or need help, this is the place!