another old fart here

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
hey all, I'm new to this forum but not to old chevies...I've been collecting them for years, some have become keepers, some have been turned...I'm currently working on a '59 el camino and am close to finishing it except pulling the engine and refreshing it...a change of rear gears and an eaton posi will be added to get this sled to move...I'm looking forward to learning about W motors from you guys so thanks in advance...I'm big block kinda guy with a barn full of restored toys...this is my elky, I've had her for 12 years and am now getting a bit serious on getting her roadworthy...

Attachments

• IMG_0128.JPG
    IMG_0128.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0130.JPG
    IMG_0130.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0131.JPG
    IMG_0131.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 33

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
thank you dick, I'm looking forward to getting schooled in "w" motors...my first one

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Welcome aboard!

So tell us about what I suspect is your 348? Is this the original engine? And of course we all want to know of your plans for the build :).

Lots of good advise here, but you get to make the final call. Good luck and let us know how we can help.

Cheers!
TomK

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
my car started out life as a small block 3 on the tree...somewhere down the line it became a 348 with a 4 speed on the floor...this girl is a mutt but my mutt...I restored the front end and replaced all gauges and wiring...over come with thoughts of putting miles on it I installed a sound system, none of my rides have 'em...I installed power discs and related hardware, all new suspension along with sway bar...the motor is next, I want a good daily car, one horse a cubic inch...I've been reading about easily built strokers...just dunno what I will build but I'll have a plan before I start buying parts...posi and a gearchange is also gonna happen directly

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Good to see a BBC guy dabble in the prehistoric "W" engine domain!

Lots of ways to achieve 350 horses out of a 348 block, some using original GM iron, but there are lots of aftermarket upgrades as well. Show Cars has a good catalog of engines components that come in handy when looking at options. Lots of experience within this group regarding options for a rebuilld and how they play out.

One direction oft suggested is to slip a 409 crank in place of your 348 crank, then add a new off-the-shelf set of BBC rods, some Ikon forged pistons and Voila!!! you've got a stroked 348. This arrangement is a bit more stout and that extra quarter inch of stroke kinda wakes that 348 up. Of course that depends on your choices in heads and valve train parts. Lots of options there as well, some that give you that factory look if that's important.

Tell us what your usability/driving expectations are (and a few other details) and Don Jacks might chime in and recommend some cam choices for a 348 (whether stroked or not) that'll put a smile on your face :).

Cheers!
TomK

BRYAN FUGATE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Welcome to the site! We've got a few 348/409 events going on this summer June14-16th at the Beech Bench raceway park in Bowling Green for the hot rod reunion and the following weekend at Mason Dixon dragway come on out and hang with us