Antique Auto Battery Closed now where for batteries

Junky

Well Known Member
I did some reading about AGM batteries today, and most articles say that they are not long lived on 1960's & 1970's cars with alternators or generators. Seems that the older cars electrical systems which were designed for lead acid batteries, will "cook" the AGM battery. Also said that you have to only use a charger that is specifically designed for the AGM battery. I also called a friend in California that had one in his 1964 Dodge, and he said that his lasted about 5 years, and for some unknown reason, the battery cracked. One of the articles said that the AGM batteries don't like extreme temperatures, such as cold winters and hot summers.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks Tommy!!!!!
And Pat...if you still want to talk to me.....go ahead and call!!!!!!!

mike s

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Well last week came and went with no emails or contact from Jim's Antique battery that battery was done and shipped. I figured with the Holiday I would leave them alone. Was busy with Dr. appts and treatments the last couple of days so I didn't have time to call. Was planning on calling tomorrow but just was checking my emails and nothing from them but I have one from UPS. that says I have a delivery coming on Friday from Jim's Antique battery. So now I will see what Friday brings and hopefully no issues when I open it. Will advise

mike s

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
So Friday comes and goes and no battery.! I get a text message from UPS on Saturday morning that severe weather conditions have caused a delay in my delivery. So now it doesn't even show a delivery date. Only coming from Ohio to NY. I' am so glad that this is not something urgent that I needed right away . Have more important issues in life to worry about. Like I said earlier maybe by Christmas. :waiting2: :unsure: :rub :dunno2

mike s

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Received new battery in mail on Monday. Looks just like old one. Hope this one has a long life like the last one (10 years old) Just wish company would have been a little more honest in beginning as to the build and delivery time. They said 3-4 weeks and it took 3 months to the day for build and delivery.IMG_6195.JPGIMG_6196.JPGIMG_6198.JPGIMG_6199.JPGIMG_6201.JPGIMG_6194.JPG

Last edited:

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Thanks for keeping everyone in the loop on this.Glad to hear it all worked out,and the battery looks awesome.I need one for the 63 and one for the 69.I guess I better get in line.

mike s

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Thanks for keeping everyone in the loop on this.Glad to hear it all worked out,and the battery looks awesome.I need one for the 63 and one for the 69.I guess I better get in line.
Yes I would say if you are going to use them you should order now so you get it by the time the spring comes. Maybe things will start to get better with this company.

Last edited:

drc409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
‘Bought a repo antique battery when I restored (1st time) my ‘63 in ‘95. I was primarily showing the car for about the first 5 years so I left the battery dry and just dropped it in place for the shows. ‘Used modern battery when I drove car. When I moved to Chicago in 2000, I put electrolyte/distilled water mix in vintage battery for first time. I drove car more then; kept battery on a trickle charger and routinely checked fluid levels. After a couple winters, I popped the hood one day to find two sides of the battery had cracked like an egg (not much fluid leak so I think it froze up). No more antique batteries for me.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
‘Bought a repo antique battery when I restored (1st time) my ‘63 in ‘95. I was primarily showing the car for about the first 5 years so I left the battery dry and just dropped it in place for the shows. ‘Used modern battery when I drove car. When I moved to Chicago in 2000, I put electrolyte/distilled water mix in vintage battery for first time. I drove car more then; kept battery on a trickle charger and routinely checked fluid levels. After a couple winters, I popped the hood one day to find two sides of the battery had cracked like an egg (not much fluid leak so I think it froze up). No more antique batteries for me.

That is interesting as the various antique batteries I have are little gel cel batteries in an old style case and absolutely no water near them:dunno2:dunno2
Robert

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That is interesting as the various antique batteries I have are little gel cel batteries in an old style case and absolutely no water near them:dunno2:dunno2
Robert
Where did you purchase your batteries from Robert ? I am not stuck on lead ( flooded ) acid, gel or AGM. For quite some time now AGM's have been everywhere and seem to do well. One of the popular AGM's is Optima. All Harley batteries have been AGM since at least 2001.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
From the old antique battery business prior to it becoming Jim’s antique batteries. They seem to only be about 450-500 CCA but that works for my purposes to just start my 409’s and get them out of the trailer to the showfield.
One interesting item that I have never been able to understand is that Tommy Nolen had one to switch polarity! Maybe because he was using it on a Pontiac.:taunt
Robert

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Pat....what does Al use for batteries? Think he said something about putting a old style top on a new battery???????