Any Holmes 440 Wrecker Owners Out There?

62BillT

Well Known Member
I've got a question or two about a Holmes 440 Wrecker. I've got a '69 Model Holmes.

Thanks

bobs409

Administrator
A little different but I have a 69 Chevy Custom 30 wrecker that has a Wreck Master unit. What's the question?

62BillT

Well Known Member
On the Bottom Bars there are 2 Spring Loaded Pull Pins. My Pull Pins are facing upwards and the dang things are too many times getting in the way. In the meantime, I've been checking on some pictures online and although some of them still have their Pins facing upward, most are facing downward. It kind of goes against common and seems like a safety hazard facing downward, but I'm sure it will be OK especially for just a yard wrecker which is all I'm using it for. Wondering which way it came originally from the factory??

Also wondering what the purpose of them are for, lol. I pulled one of the Pins to extend them expecting to find a series of holes to send the Sling a little further out and to my surprise, no holes. Does your Wrecker Master have them as well?

Thanks Bob.

bobs409

Administrator
My wrecker doesn't have that type sling set up but I used to tow cars with a 79 Chevy tow truck that had them. To use them goes like this: Get truck positioned in front of vehicle your towing. Lower the slings down just above the road surface, back up to the car your picking up and bump the slings into it, set brake. Lower slings down and pull the pins leaving them in unlocked position. This allows you to pull the bottom bar on slings under the car further. Hook up the chains re-engage the pins and start lifting. The car will pull forward and the pins will lock in place again.

Haven't towed a car with that set up since 1989 so you tested my memory a bit... :D

P.S. The locking handles on that truck as I recall were on the inside facing each other. You might be able to flip your bars over getting them to the top at least. ?

62BillT

Well Known Member
Good explanation Bob. Never knew that. I would go with friends to get cars through the years and either they didn't have that set-up either or if they did, they didn't use it. My bars can't go sideways, only up or down. And I just checked it over again and someone welded the nuts on it !! I'll just keep using it that way for now, but will tackle it later on at a better time. Holmes has always been known for great quality, but wish they located those Pins a little higher up on the Bars. Two times last week they got tangled up in the car's Bumper and I had to re-adjust it. Not only could they damage a Bumper, but I bent one of the Pins. Got it straightened out though.

Thanks again.

62BillT

Well Known Member
I just looked thru a folder I have on my computer with wrecker pics and I see most of those handles are on the bottom! Maybe it's that way for when your lying on your back in rain & mud and ??? you can reach them better. :D

Bob, They are most likely on the bottom because they probably kept running into the same problem I am having.

The dang things are in the way, lol.