Any item to check if you have a Vibration

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
My son has my 62 in North Carolina as I’m not going anywhere with this virus.
Anyway he lost the center carrier bearing awhile back, so he replaced it, but he picked up a vibration.
He through it was the driveshift alignment, so he worked and worked to correct it. To no luck.

So he took the driveshaft to a driveshaft shop, to check the balance.
the shop said on 3 piece driveshafts if the center bearing goes bad, it easily bends the sliding part of the shaft.
They see it all the time. It’s a very fix by any driveshaft shop.
so if the driveshaft isn’t out of phase, check for it being bent.

Dave

ragtp66

Well Known Member
The front driveshaft SHOULD be installed 90* OUT of phase and almost EVERY driveshaft builder will INSIST that it is wrong. However it is in both the parts book and also in the 58 shop manual. The red arrows show how the joints are to be installed. Also need to leave the carrier bearing bolts loose til its back on the ground or on a 4 post/drive on lift THEN tighten the carrier bearing bolts with the weight on the suspension. If the car is lowered he will keep blowing the "new" carrier bearing to fix it he needs to add a slip yoke to rear shaft. Disregard if its stock ride height. The quality of the available carrier bearings is poor as well, NEW does not always mean GOOD. If he upgrades to a poly/billet bearing he also needs a rear shaft slip yoke. The new bearing will not give as the suspension articulates as the originals did.

Other things could be bad wheel balance or missing weight.
Broken belt internally in a tire.
Some brake drums have a LOT of wheel weights added so if one is missing or knocked off.
Bad ujoint.
Driveshaft not balanced.
Improper driveline angles.
The trans crossmember has a slope to one side that should go toward the rear end.
The trans crossmember should be mounted in the lower set of holes for automatic trans.
IMG_2106.jpgIMG_2072.JPGIMG_2106.jpgIMG_2072.JPG

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
"If the car is lowered he will keep blowing the "new" carrier bearing to fix it he needs to add a slip yoke to rear shaft"

This is over come by making the slot longer where the carrier bearing mounts in the chassis, also when you tighten the 2 bolts make sure the car is at ride height, you may even need to make the suspension work a little before the bolts are tightened up.
I have had brand new stock carriers lift off the base, caused by poor manufacturing, welding it back together with proper welds fixes the problem.