Any Reccomendations of Part Suppliers

JBaker

I'm new to this board and this is my first posting. In the process of detailing the complete front end of my 63 Chevy Impala Conv 409. I have the Engine out and all the suspension completely disassembled. Will be purchasing over a $1000. worth of new parts I need. (Suspension parts, Heater Parts, Steerring wheel Parts, Etc.

I have looked at Hubbards Parts Catalog along with Sinclairs, and Show Cars Automotive. Before I decide I was wondering if anyone has any good or bad reccomendations for these parts concerning price and/or service.

Thanks

JBaker

bobs409

Administrator
I find it best to order as many free catalogs as you can from various vendors and compare prices. Most will also have websites where you can check their inventory & prices too. I also factor in shipping/handling charges with my decision.

I bought parts from many places over the years and have no complaints about any in particular worth mentioning.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Local considerations

Don't forget your nearby GM dealership and your local knowledgeable parts store :).

You'd be surprised what can be purchased from them, and often the parts are on hand, or at least you can examine them personally upon their arrival and make good decisions on the spot.

I ocassionally buy items from local sources and when you point out any less-than-acceptable quality of a part, they won't make you buy it, and you'rre not out shipping costs. They want to know these things, too!

It's a bit different, as some have found out, to fit up parts that "come in the mail" (including Ebay auctions, major parts suppliers, and such) and often not that easy to get your dollars back if need be. Plus the shipping can eat you up...

The sources you are now looking at (Show Cars, Sinclairs, Hubbard's, JEGs, the catalog places)can be good for certain things as well. They sure are convenient and all you need is a phone, an address, and good credit :).

Good luck in restoring the front suspension on that baby!

Best,
TomK

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
J , I have bought many front end kits from PST over the years. They are the company that advertises in all of the magazines, There kit includes all ball joints, control arm bushings, outer tie rod ends and stabilizer bushings. Price is $159 for O.E. parts. That seems reasonalble to me. As a matter of fact , Im gonna order a set this week. However , our own JimKwi was in the business for years and his opinion on front end parts quality would be welcomed by all. Good luck

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Suppliers

Where in Ohio are you? Might be able to help better if I knew that. there are some suppliers in Ohio that are really good. I'm not speaking of Jeg's or Summitt.

Fred

No409

Supporting Member 1
get the PST front end kit. I just did my 63 and it came with everything, and was reasonabally priced. I did powdercoat my control arms first, so i wont half to do again

JBaker

SS425HP said:
Where in Ohio are you? Might be able to help better if I knew that. there are some suppliers in Ohio that are really good. I'm not speaking of Jeg's or Summitt.

Fred

I am located in Lancaster Oh which is about 30 mi SE of Columbus.

JBaker

Ronnie Russell said:
J , I have bought many front end kits from PST over the years. They are the company that advertises in all of the magazines, There kit includes all ball joints, control arm bushings, outer tie rod ends and stabilizer bushings. Price is $159 for O.E. parts. That seems reasonalble to me. As a matter of fact , Im gonna order a set this week. However , our own JimKwi was in the business for years and his opinion on front end parts quality would be welcomed by all. Good luck

Thanks for the tip, I am well aware of PST and have ordered from them before whem I restored my 66 Corvette. I was planning on using them as their prices and quality is tough to beat!!

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Parts places

Restoration World in Dayton, Ohio is a pretty good place to go. Gary Harmon, who used to be Harmon's in Indiana, is the owner. I'm sure they can handle about anything you need, or point you in the right direction. You aren't really that far from his place. He's on I-70 in the Huber Heights area of Dayton.
Another place to try would be Phil Reed in KC, Mo. Phil and Brad are very knowledgable on all parts.
For 409 parts, engine wise, email me if you want. Will try to steer you right.

Fred

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
If you walk into a parts store, and they guy has wrinkles, you just might have found someone who knows more about old car parts that a guy with pimples.

:roll

JBaker

SS425HP said:
Restoration World in Dayton, Ohio is a pretty good place to go. Gary Harmon, who used to be Harmon's in Indiana, is the owner. I'm sure they can handle about anything you need, or point you in the right direction. You aren't really that far from his place. He's on I-70 in the Huber Heights area of Dayton.
Another place to try would be Phil Reed in KC, Mo. Phil and Brad are very knowledgable on all parts.
For 409 parts, engine wise, email me if you want. Will try to steer you right.

Fred

Fred: Appreciate the tips & info and will keep them in mind. Any chance you know something about the casting dates and codes for the 409? See my post on the 348-409 board about needing information.

JBaker