Any T-10 Guru's??? Need Help ID'ing a T-10

I just found a Borg Warner T-10, and could use some help ID'ing it. I did try a search on here, a Google search, and a search on some other message boards, but didn't find anything. It definitely has a GM bellhousing pattern, although it could be Pontiac, or an Olds. It has the following date codes and numbers: main case - date code, E-20-63, and cast in numbers, T-10-1B and WG-DIV. The main case also has a number faintly stamped into the top, that is, (I think), K8018529. I'm not sure of the second #8, it may be 3, or 5. The side cover has a date code of 8-13-63. The tailshaft housing has a date code of 7-26-63, with cast in numbers of: T10D-7, WG Div, and R-2. I haven't counted gear teeth yet, however. It seems like I read once that some T-10's in 1963 had all aluminum cases, and some had a cast iron main case with an aluminum tailshaft housing and side cover.:dunno Was one type of case installed behind 327's and the other behind 409's? Kinda remember this from somewhere, but I'm not sure. Mine has the iron main case with aluminum side cover and tailshaft housing. I've always had Muncies, so this T-10 stuff is a little new. Thanks in advance....John.

Thank's Tic's 60. :cheers:bow:beerbang I had found the first link, but it was only for Super T-10's. However, I hadn't found the second, and it looks like my trans is a 2:20 low, close ratio, for an early 1964, (with high nickel content). I'm basing this off of the tailshaft splines. It has a fine spline tailshaft, (like a Muncie). This kinda threw me at first, cause I thought all early T-10's had coarse splines, like a 3 speed or a PowerGlide. Also, I counted the gear teeth. The counter gear has, 30, 23, 19, and 17 teeth. Third gear, (what's left of it that is),:eek::eek::eek: used to have 29 teeth. Now it only has about24 1/2 left. Hmmm.....Somebody must have problems with shifting into 3rd. :doh:doh:doh Thanks again. It looks like this is worth rebuilding.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
John:
Your trans is not high nickel. Starting in 1962, the T-10's for 283 and 250HP 327 were cast iron cases. The 300HP 327 and 409's had aluminum cases and the high nickel gear sets. I've had some Pontiac T-10's in the past and the input shaft is different for Chevy. You can just change that out. But the only T-10 I've ever seen with a fine spline output shaft was a Super T-10. I'd do some more homework on yours before I put money into a rebuild. JMO

John:
Your trans is not high nickel. Starting in 1962, the T-10's for 283 and 250HP 327 were cast iron cases. The 300HP 327 and 409's had aluminum cases and the high nickel gear sets. I've had some Pontiac T-10's in the past and the input shaft is different for Chevy. You can just change that out. But the only T-10 I've ever seen with a fine spline output shaft was a Super T-10. I'd do some more homework on yours before I put money into a rebuild. JMO
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I found out that it is a wide ratio. It does have a fine spline, (27), output shaft, though. At least it has that going for it, (and it's not a PowerGlide,:D ) It looks like this was a change for 1964. I've been told that quite often the later fine spline main shafts were installed in the earlier transmissions. Oh well.:dunno It was good while it lasted....:)

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
"Starting in 1962, the T-10's for 283 and 250HP 327 were cast iron cases. The 300HP 327 and 409's had aluminum cases"

Phil,

I'm just getting around to reading this post and I know you have had more experence with this than I but to my knowledge the cast iron main case transmissions were prior to 1962. The '61 Corvette’s all had aluminum case transmissions but the '61 409 was the first use of the aluminum case 4 speeds in the big cars. All other '61 Chevrolets used the iron case. In '62, all of the 4 speeds were aluminum. The 4 speed was only available with the 327 and 409 motors, the 283 was only available with the 3 speed or powerglide.

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
T-10 code

I have a GM chart that list all GM manual trans. codes.
For T-10s see below

A-code 2:54 LOW. 1:92 SECOND, 1:51 THIRD AND 1:00 FOURTH
C & F code 2:20 low, 1:64 second,1:31 third and 1:00 forth
D, E, & G code 2:54 low, 1:89 second, 1:51 third and 1:00 forth

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The T-10 was not used in chevy production line vehicles in 64, however they were still being assembled for service use into the 70's. T-10's in Chevy production vehicles were replaced by the Muncie after Feb 63 in pass cars and mid-May 63 in Corvettes. It sounds like you either have a service replacement trans for Chevy that someone changed out the mainshaft to 27 spline, or possibly Pontiac or Olds, if they were still using T-10's in 64, may have gotten a 27 spline. The Super T-10 (32 spline) came out in 74 for Chevy, but according to Colvin, there was also an early "Super T-10" for American Motors in 65. Don't know what the output spline count was though:dunno
JMHO.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Hey Guys, I remember the Super T-10 in my '57 track car was not an aluminum piece.and found it to be very heavy as I was laying on my back trying to get it lined up with the Lakewood Scatter Shield.I think my unit was from a 427 '69 Vette,but I am not sure.:cheers