Any tricks to removing an ignition lock cylinder w/ no key?

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If you have a blank key, small files, patience, and time, it can be done.
Take a blank key, insert it into the ignition, wiggle it and with any luck, you'll have an outline on the key of where the tumblers are. You'll have to file down the key to match the pattern.

Good luck!

bobs409

Administrator

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
With these ignition switches? :p Here's a door: :fear
What he mean's is if you have a door of same vehicle you can get a key code off the door lock. I had local chevy dealer recode some of my lock'son my 63.Do you just have random part's you are doing this to.

bobs409

Administrator
What he mean's is if you have a door of same vehicle you can get a key code off the door lock. I had local chevy dealer recode some of my lock'son my 63.Do you just have random part's you are doing this to.

Oh, I see. These are just random, nothing to go off of. Not gonna be that easy! :D

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Are there any numbers on the lock? GM used a code number system for the cuts in the keys. Had a glove box key made by a lock smith years ago just from the numbers.

62bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
All of the locks have the code numbers stamped on the side of the body, however, you must have the body of the lock visible to read them. The door and trunk locks are easy to remove, but the ignition locks still in the dash are another animal.

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Send them to me. I like a challenge. Or you can watch a few of Bosnian Bill's youtube videos.

bobs409

Administrator
I picked 2 of them today. WITH A DRILL BIT! :D Got those done, 2 more to go. I just popped off the outer chrome cover, then drilled into the center so I could dig out those little key fingers or whatever they are called. Once you get those out, it turns freely to get it out by pushing the little button.

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
An ignition switch isn't that expensive. Is it worth the effort to save a used part like that? It's a good idea to change the ignition lock also, anyway. For years,the door key and the ignition lock used the same key. Car thieves used to steal the door lock cylinder with a slide hammer, take it to a lock shop who would make a new key using the lock code number stamped into the door lock cylinder by the factory, then the car thief would return,jump into the car and steal it with his new key.

bobs409

Administrator
This is so I can sell them easier. Tossing them out would be terrible business practice. :D (I know what you're saying though...) ;)