Any tricks to removing an ignition lock cylinder w/ no key?

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I replaced the ignition cylinder on my 62 and it won't turn. Anyone come across this problem?
Thanks, will try that, I bought the cylinder as part of a complete lock set for the doors, trunk, and other locks in the car. The key works fine on all other locks except the ignition. Im thinking maybe something with the tumblers? The cylinder turns counter-clock-wise fine, it just sticks in the start position and has to be returned to the running position manually.
Two different explanation's of your ignition . How can anyone help you with a problem when you don't explain it correctly the first time.:wtf

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well, at first it didn't turn at all, either left or right. After some forceful turning, we were able to pop it back out using a pin in the hole. Then a friend of mine took it and said he had to sand it down because apparently, it was not perfectly round. He brought it back and it popped in and turned to the accessory position with no problems, then we turned it to the start position and it sticks.

So, I did explain it right the first time, tried some suggestions (including sanding it to make it more round), then came back to give an updated explanation.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Well, at first it didn't turn at all, either left or right. After some forceful turning, we were able to pop it back out using a pin in the hole. Then a friend of mine took it and said he had to sand it down because apparently, it was not perfectly round. He brought it back and it popped in and turned to the accessory position with no problems, then we turned it to the start position and it sticks.

So, I did explain it right the first time, tried some suggestions (including sanding it to make it more round), then came back to give an updated explanation.

I see,but you left out what you did to help correct the problem. Helping some one on a site like this can be confusing ,that is why every thing needs to be explained .Not just blaming you alone,it happens all the time

Junky

Well Known Member
The return from the start position, is a function of the ignition switch, not the key cylinder. If you have to sand down the ignition cylinder just to make it work, then it was casted out of round, and there is nothing that you can do about that. I would suggest that you find a replacement, preferably a NOS unit, and have it "keyed" to your key. This is a common problem of a part not fitting or working like an original, since quality control isn't adhered to when parts are made by the lowest bidder in some far away country. I would always rather purchase used OEM parts, than use reproduction parts. Most reproduction parts from the far East are junk, in my opinion. I am guessing that since you replaced the original with a reproduction, that you might still have the original? If so, take it to a locksmith, along with your new key, and have new tumblers installed.