Anybody run one of these?

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
miles2.jpg
M&R.jpg
This car doesn't exactly fit the mold of this discussion area but what the hell.
Grandson Miles had his state kart races two weekends ago and finished 5th out of 11 and started in the back. The kid has no fear, not sure if that is a good thing or not. He says he is going to be in a dirt modified when he's 16 (11 now) so I told him he better get some good sponsors cause the $50-$100 that he got from each of his current sponsors (besides grandpa, he's got way more in it than that) wasn't going to get him very far. He says no problem, he will just ask them for more money, I guess to an 11 year old that is probably all he thinks it takes.............

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
My 3 grandsons love these as do most all boys.
The oldest wanted to enter his first actual race.
He and his brothers’ cart seized the engine at the track:bang

We had to rent a cart off the rack, 4 carts in the race, he was the slowest.

Then the sky’s began to dump rain. After it cleared and the track began to dry the race was to start.

He was in his cart in last place position. I walked over to him and said, Joseph don’t worry about your cart speed, just drive to the dry, avoid the water. Don’t spin out off the track and drive your own race.

Flag went down, 3rd place guy spun off the track and out, 2nd place guy pushed 1st place cart off the track into the mud, which left 2.

The guy now in first and Joseph finished, 1-2.

When they pulled in, the race officials walked over and disqualified the first place guy for pushing the other cart off the track and Joseph won 1st Place his first time out!!

Never quit, he ran his race and good things happened.
Now to fix the cart:driver

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The engine is on the wrong side! Chevytaylor :wacko:doh When I was a teenager I used to have a Molly Kart with twin alcohol McCulloughs on it.
Used to race it at TNT motor sports in West Quincy Missouri near Illinois. My father-in-law used to work on it and teach me how, but I didn’t know he was going to be my father-in-law at the time because I was only 13 or 14 years old:dunno. It ran well over 100 mph. My father-in-law used to hold the speed record for a go Kart in Indy. The guy that was driving my father-in-law‘s Kart in Indy was a crow Indian. Not afraid of anything, and I think he ran over 130.00 in the mid 70’s....
That sure is a cool ride that little fella has, I predict a lot of racing in his future.

Last edited:

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
They start young. This is my 6-year old grandson (and his dad-our son) at his first competitive race earlier this year (before the pandemic hit and closed the track). In this class no one wins, but everyone gets to stand on the podium. Trophy races begin in the next age group. The grandson is the one in the red racing suit.
They aren't allowed to start the karts in the pits, only on the pre-grid.
Grandpa (me) cares for the kart and brings it to the track for them to run. They have no room or way to transport the kart to the track. It is really cool to see them race (5-8 year old category). Such intensity by the kids (and also by the parents - just like T-ball parents!). Grandpa just sits back and fixes things while enjoying the races. It is fun!
John

Attachments

• IMG_0522-c.JPG
    IMG_0522-c.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2118-c.jpg
    IMG_2118-c.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0546-c.JPG
    IMG_0546-c.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 25

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
They do start young, I think 5 is the youngest that can race in our area.
In Miles class (JR1) you can start the kart in your pit and make adjustments but cannot drive them in the pits and must bring the kart to the grid to line up on a kart carrier or by pulling/pushing them. This is Mile's second full year of racing, first year he ran with the rookies and then moved to JR1 this year. He is third in points so far out of 14 in his class. They usually run double shows on Saturdays which consists of two heat races with 6 or 7 karts in each and then a feature with all of them. Then do it again. It is a lot of fun and quality time with my son and grandson although we are still learning how to set up the kart, sometimes Miles struggles a bit because his pit crew lacks experience........

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The photos were from my grandson's first and last race this year. The pandemic hit and shut down the track in Feb. Then, about a month ago, both he and his younger brother (3-yr old) tested positive for COVID-19. Since then they have been quarantined and both parents (my son and his wife) have caught the disease. The grandkids have recovered nicely, but the parents are having problems. Not hospitalized yet, but not doing well either. Although the kart track re-opened 3 weeks ago, we are maintaining distance from both the grandkids and our kids. My wife and I are in our 70's and don't want any part of that action. I fully expect that this year will be a washout for our grandson's racing activities (we store the kart at my shop at the house).

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Ouch! I hope everyone recovers back to normal. One of my tenants has tested positive, she informed me the day her AC went out. I sent my guy over there with that information and he was able to get her back running without coming into contact. The last thing I need is to contract that virus. We've been around both sets of grandkids recently, and the week before they visit we basically shut down and have things delivered (groceries, etc.). It kinda sucks, but this epidemic needs to be contained and we're trying to stay safe.

Just yesterday we learned that a neighbor in our KC family tested positive, and now his parents have contracted the virus as well. They had been meeting in their cul-de-sac on occasion with our family, so we just cancelled an upcoming weekend visit while they evaluated their own situation.

Being in a town dominated by the University, and now that the undergrads are back in town, it'll be interesting to see the extent of transmission and how long the semester actually lasts...

Cheers! TomK

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The photos were from my grandson's first and last race this year. The pandemic hit and shut down the track in Feb. Then, about a month ago, both he and his younger brother (3-yr old) tested positive for COVID-19. Since then they have been quarantined and both parents (my son and his wife) have caught the disease. The grandkids have recovered nicely, but the parents are having problems. Not hospitalized yet, but not doing well either. Although the kart track re-opened 3 weeks ago, we are maintaining distance from both the grandkids and our kids. My wife and I are in our 70's and don't want any part of that action. I fully expect that this year will be a washout for our grandson's racing activities (we store the kart at my shop at the house).

That sucks, hope everyone has a complete and speedy recovery.