Anybody use a 4 row repro radiator from Classic Industries?

Tri5man

Well Known Member
Regarding cheap Chinese aluminum radiators, how much quality do you expect for $188? These cooling tubes are epoxied rather then tig welded. They are unrepairable and become throw aways.

Gary

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
That 400+ radiator from Classic is made in China. Some of the cheap one's I've bought in the last couple of years were made in Poland.

LowKat

Well Known Member
The aluminum 3 row "Champion Cooling Systems" radiator is the one I was looking at.
Made in USA. Welded/brazed, no epoxy. Lifetime warranty.

Jegs has them for $227 and free shipping.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Champion-Cooling-Systems/166/CC281/10002/-1?parentProductId=#moreDetails

166-cc281.jpg

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
The only problem is the look. No where near stock. Reading reviews from short term to long term, it would appear there is a long term problem with leaking welds down the road. This might have been an issue from the past. Warrantee only covers the product not the shipping and handling. How about the Griffen sold by SC? Costs more but mine has been in for 12 or so years. Another thing to consider is if you go to an aftermarket steering box down the road. You can get a radiator with the notch welded to clear the larger boxes.

Last edited:

Well Known Member
My original radiator, in my 64, was a 3 core. I believe 348's and 409's were all 3 core.
Correct me if I'm wrong I think 409's had a three core radiator, and 4 core radiator when the car was equipped with air-conditioning

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Regarding cheap Chinese aluminum radiators, how much quality do you expect for $188? These cooling tubes are epoxied rather then tig welded. They are unrepairable and become throw aways.

Gary

Most all alum radiators are welded, the only manufactuer I know of that epoxies is Griffin. Either are throw aways if there's a problem.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I think you are correct, 63 409. The tank on my 64's radiator, looks like there was room, for another row of tubes. Motor Manual says 21 w/o heater, 22 with heater, and 22 w/ AC.:) :dunno2

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I have had my Griffen welded couple of years ago. They pretty much pinch the tube and weld it closed.

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Regarding the radiator difference, 348 is 3 rows vs 2 rows for small block? Thinking that I'll need to buy a 3 row for my 348 in the '58 Impala but if I decide to install a crate, a 3 row would still work.

Last edited:

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I'm going with the US Radiator copper core. I think the car warrants an original look.
Just found out today my workplace https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/ is a distributor.
Gotta get the part # to our buyer as soon as I decide.

What would've been stock in a '61 Turboglide car? A 3 row?
Did 4 rows come in production cars?

Here's my shroud, looks like it's made for a wider core.
Notched at the top to fit under the tank.

View attachment 45775

View attachment 45774

View attachment 45778

That radiator fan shroud in the picture above is the correct 348 fan shroud -its is narrower with width than the small block fan shroud

All original 409 cars came with 3 core radiators but the reproduction 348 and 409 radiators are sold as 4 core radiators
if you want the factory look use the 4 core reproduction radiator -they cool just fine.
Paul